Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

SLES 11 sp1 to sp2 unable to add mobility addon

I am trying to upgrade our SLES 11 sp1 to Sp2 by following TID 7010339 but I am unable to add the mobility cd to the add-on list while booting from the sp2 cd. It just does not add anything when trying to read the cd.
If I just keep going it uninstalls datasync.
I have reverted the VM back to Sp1 for now.

Anyone any ideas ?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: SLES 11 sp1 to sp2 unable to add mobility addon

Conz;2258525 wrote:
I am trying to upgrade our SLES 11 sp1 to Sp2 by following TID 7010339 but I am unable to add the mobility cd to the add-on list while booting from the sp2 cd. It just does not add anything when trying to read the cd.
If I just keep going it uninstalls datasync.
I have reverted the VM back to Sp1 for now.

Anyone any ideas ?

I always put the add-on ISO on the server (tend to make a folder /usr/install to centrally put it all) and point to the ISO during the install. imo much easier than having to switch the media. Typically the server's root partition will get mounted under /mnt/.
Then when the upgrade to SP2 is done and you are booted back in the server OS, modify the path to the add-on ISO and take out the extra /mnt in the path value.

-Willem
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

magic31;2258642 wrote:
...Typically the server's root partition will get mounted under /mnt/

To clarify, it will get mounted like that when the system is booted from the SLES install media and while running through the installer's upgrade option.

-Willem
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'll give this a try with the next opportunity I get thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

I had this same issue last night. I have an SLES11SP1 server that already has Datasync 1.2.5 installed on it. I followed the same TID that you did and have the exact same issue. When it comes time to add the mobility pack iso as an Add-on.. nothing happens. It "reads" the CD then just goes back to a blank Add-on product screen. If you continue with the install, after you boot your Sp2 server, there is no datasync installed. I tried to go into Yast gui and reinstall it , but then had a bunch of dependcy issues that I didnt know how to answer. I reverted back to Sp1 snapshot.

It shouldn't matter if you use a CD or an ISO, btw... Conz, did your Sp1 server already have 1.2.5 installed or 1.2.4?

#novell on efnet
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Btw, during the install, ALL repositories were listed as "removed". Maybe that has something to do with it.. ?

#novell on efnet
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

joebrug;2260070 wrote:
Btw, during the install, ALL repositories were listed as "removed". Maybe that has something to do with it.. ?

This is what I was thinking too, and my server already has 1.2.5 installed.
But Its been running for a few previous versions, I got a lengthy list of cd's that it wanted to remove.

I was thinking of attempting another upgrade later today. Turn off datasync auto start, shutdown machine, snapshot it and then (hopefully) upgrade.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I marked the last on the list of mobility CD's that had a cd:// url (there were about 😎 as enabled, loaded the iso from the local disk and now its updating.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

So you left the 1.2.5 mobility Enabled, then added the 1.2.5 iso again and it took it?

#novell on efnet
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

joebrug;2261081 wrote:
So you left the 1.2.5 mobility Enabled, then added the 1.2.5 iso again and it took it?

Yes, there were about 10 or so mobility cd's listed with a cd:/// url including (much) older versions. I selected the last of the current version ones(there were 3 I think) and marked that as enabled.
So i'm not sure if it was the iso on the local disk that fixed it or this bit, but the combination made it work for me 🙂
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Oh, you also moved the iso locally? hmm might try this again but want to make sure I do it right.

So, you kept (enabled) the cd:/// that was pointed to 1.2.5 iso
and you copied the 1.2.5 iso locally on the server, then used that for the "Add-on" product?

#novell on efnet
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

joebrug;2261334 wrote:
Oh, you also moved the iso locally? hmm might try this again but want to make sure I do it right.

So, you kept (enabled) the cd:/// that was pointed to 1.2.5 iso
and you copied the 1.2.5 iso locally on the server, then used that for the "Add-on" product?

In my case the server is a VM, I always connected the mobility iso's to the VM cd-rom drive so they were all installed from a 'physical' cd-rom drive what the server is concerned. For the update I copied the iso to the local disk and selected 'iso file' for the addon product.

In *theory* it should not need the cd:/// mobility channel but I did enable it and then it went on (did not try without)

Also, when you're done and it does the 1st time boot, it will complain about not being able to find the iso, this is because for the installer the root was under /mnt and now its not, you can just correct the location manually in the url it gives and it'll go on.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.