Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

SMTP Conversion Threads - how many?

I am wondering how many conversion threads one should set for inbound/outbound SMTP traffic on a GWIA.

The GWIA in question handles the following in a 24 hour period:

Inbound 12000 - 15000 messages
Outbound 3000 - 5000 messages

My conversion threads are currently set to 7/7.

Is this too low? What would the GURU's suggest?
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
darkwingemm1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: SMTP Conversion Threads - how many?

Do you see a back log of messages in any of the send/receive or wpcsin/wpcsout queues? If you are concerned, you can always create a second GWIA, and have one dedicated to incoming and one to outgoing. It looks like it should be fine, that's about 13 messages a min, so it shouldn't be overly killing the GWIA.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Thank you for your reply - much appreciated.

There is no backlog of mail. The GWIA appears to be working fine with those settings, but I always like to fine tune my system for best possible performance.

I was just wondering if there were any recommended settings for GWIA or if there's some kinda calculation ie this amount of inbound mail per minute requires this amount of conversion threads.
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Absent Member.

There's no rule of thumb as far as I'm aware, if you need more, add more or decrease the scan/cycle time or increase the send/receive threads. Default is 4 conversion threads, so you may have too many, but better to have a couple extra then not enough. I have a large customer with 24k users, 2 inbound GWIAs and 1 outbound GWIA, but they left conversion threads set to default.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Thank you very much for your input - much appreciated.
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Absent Member.

You're welcome, hope it helps.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.