UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

SOAP and GroupWise

I'm am in no way an expert on GroupWise but I recently encountered a problem that I was able to resolve. It has to do with the SOAP protocol and GroupWise.

I installed the Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack and when I tried to sync my test devices some of my POAs started unloading. I have 8 POAs, 1 on a Netware 6.5 server and 7 on Windows 2003 R2 servers. Each of my POAs are sitting at version 8.0.2.

Once I finished the NDSMP installation I added my own account into both the groupwise and mobility connectors to run tests. As soon as I tried to sync my iPhone with the NDSMP server the Post Office that my account sits in unloaded its POA. It took me some time and research but I finally figured out what was causing the problem.

NDSMP uses a protocol called SOAP to talk between the groupwise connector and the GroupWise domain. From there, it seems, the domain uses the SOAP protocol to talk back and forth between the other POs. Well, when we enabled the SOAP protocol on our POAs we gave them all the defualt port, 7191. This is what caused the problem. Each SOAP port has to be set to a different port number. I kept my first POA at 7191 and then went up from there, 7192...7193...7194...7195...and so on. I then tested the port by trying to make a telnet connection with it by using the following command;

telnet POAserverIP 7191

POAserverIP is the IP address POA's server.

At first I could not make the connection but once I stopped and restarted each of my POA services the connection worked. This is the message I received;

HTTP/1.0 500
Date: Tues, 21 Feb 2010 20:22:40 GMT
Server: Windows GroupWise POA 8.0.2
Content-Type: text/html
Pragma: no-cache

Connection to host lost

I ran this same test to each of my POAs IP address and specific SOAP port number and the connection worked every time. Once I confirmed this connection was working I went back to my test accounts and they each worked perfectly.

Hopefully this information will help someone out there.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

wadeprunty wrote:

> Each SOAP port has to be set to a different port number.

Actually, this is only a requirement if you have more than one POA on the same
server. Here I have multiple POAs on different servers. They are all using
SOAP on port 7191 talking to Mobility with no issues.

--
Danita Zanrè
Novell Knowledge Partner
Get up and running with Novell Mobility!
http://www.caledonia.net/gw-mobility.html
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You are right, you can leave the SOAP ports the same as long as the POAs are on different servers. Come to find out, the issue we are having has to do with SOAP+POA version 8.0.2. This version of the POA is having some major problems with SOAP, including crashing the POA when trying to make a SOAP connection. The issue does not appear to be affecting all 8.0.2 POAs but it is wide spread. Novell has a ticket opened for the problem and will hopefully have a solution asap.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Do we need to create different GroupWise Connector for each Post Office even though all the Post Offices are in the same GroupWise domain? The Sync Server (SLESS 11) is placed in the DMZ, and all Post Offices are internal.

Thanks
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

anh2lua wrote:

> Do we need to create different GroupWise Connector for each Post
> Office even though all the Post Offices are in the same GroupWise
> domain?

No, you just need a single GW connector pointing at one post office.
That POA will redirect requests to other post offices whether they are
in the same domain or in other domains. As long as it's a single GW
system in a single eDir tree it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure
SOAP is enabled for all the POAs containing users who will be using
Mobility.

--
Novell Knowledge Partner
Enhancement Requests: http://www.novell.com/rms

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi wadeprunty

I think we have the exact same problem... I have migrated 2 GroupWise 8.0.2 server from Netware to Windows 2008 R2 and ever since I get random crashes of poa... I can force crashes by adding/re-init a user on Data Synchronizer. 😞 Disabling SOAP on the poa stopps the crashing... as well as mobile sync though 😞
Do you have any news from novell yet? If they need another server to test on... I would be happy to help out 🙂

Regards
Rene

>>> On 27.09.10 at 19:06, in message <wadeprunty.4hyj89@no-mx.forums.novell..com>, wadeprunty<wadeprunty@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

You are right, you can leave the SOAP ports the same as long as the POAs
are on different servers. Come to find out, the issue we are having has
to do with SOAP+POA version 8.0.2. This version of the POA is having
some major problems with SOAP, including crashing the POA when trying to
make a SOAP connection. The issue does not appear to be affecting all
8.0.2 POAs but it is wide spread. Novell has a ticket opened for the
problem and will hopefully have a solution asap.

--
wadeprunty
------------------------------------------------------------------------
wadeprunty's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=94853
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=421561
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Rene Niederhauser wrote:

> If they need another server to test on... I would be
> happy to help out 🙂

They just may take you up on the offer if you open an SR.

--
Novell Knowledge Partner
Enhancement Requests: http://www.novell.com/rms

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.