Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
Mitchell Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

[SOLVED][Windows] gwadj2.dll: %1 is not a valid Win32 application

Jump to solution

Just to confirm, my co-worker is in fact @mhayduck seen below in the replies - for anyone hesitant on responding.

I am having issues starting GroupWise Administrative Console today. Error below:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program Files\Novell\GroupWise Server\admin\lib\gwadj2.dll: %1 is not a valid Win32 application
        at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1941)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1857)
        at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:870)
        at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1122)
        at com.novell.gw.api.config.services.GwWindowsServices.<clinit>(GwWindowsServices.java:49)
        at com.novell.gw.api.config.services.GwServices.getInstance(GwServices.java:70)
        at com.novell.gw.api.main.GwAdminService.main(GwAdminService.java:156)

I have tried starting the service, as well as manually starting the gwadmin.jar file via command line. It produces the same result.

Command I used is the same command that the service uses:

jre\bin\java.exe -Dlog4j.configuration="file:///C:\Program Files\Novell\GroupWise Server\admin\gwadmin-logging.xml" -DLOGPATH="%PROGRAMDATA%\Novell\Groupwise\gwadmin\logs" -jar gwadmin.jar -auto

(Note: jre\bin\java.exe is IN the GroupWise Server\admin folder, included during installation)

Server Specs:

• JRE 1.8.0_144 (64bit)
    • jre1.8.0_221 (32bit & 64bit)
    • jdk1.8.0_221 (32bit & 64bit)
  • GW: GroupWise Version 2014 R2

What has already been done to try and resolve this?

I would like to point out that even trying to change a users password via ConsoleOne shows no errors but does NOT work either. Not sure if it's related.

This started happening after the server hard crashed due to a BSOD. I am sure there has been some data loss here of course due to the crash, however - I have tried installing GW2014 on a fresh VM in a different location remotely and the result is the EXACT same. This new VM has similar specs to the server mentioned above.

Any one have any ideas?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mhayduck
New Member.

Re: [Windows] gwadj2.dll: %1 is not a valid Win32 application

Jump to solution

EVERYONE!

We got the issue resolved. We ended up just renaming the .dll in system32, and it started working. It looks like the software checks through system32 first for the .dll. After renaming it, I believe the service started looking in the novell directory or the groupwise directory for the dll. I am know sure who put it in system32, but I don't care! It's working!

Thank you for all of your replies and ideas. It is always appreciated!

13 Replies
Frequent Contributor.

Jump to solution
I hate to be that kinda user, but *bump*
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

@Mitchell wrote:
I hate to be that kinda user, but *bump*

Hi Mitchell,

These forums are mostly monitored by volunteers. We each have our own areas of expertise and try to respond to issues with which we have had some experience. Sometimes you may not receive a response from us, likely because no one has an answer for you.

If you have not received a timely response, you can try to provide additional details about your issue or, if you require an urgent response, you should open a Service Request via Micro Focus Customer Center.

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

Jump to solution
Yeah - I was hoping it was just because maybe no one saw it and it got buried. Sadly we do not have a support contract so contacting customer center is out of the question at the moment.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Saw your post, but I run GroupWise on Linux and haven't a clue about your issue.  Maybe someone else will pop in with a suggestion.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
Idea Exchange sites within this community are now coming online for some of the Collaboration Products!
GroupWise Idea Exchange - https://community.microfocus.com/t5/GroupWise-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/GWideas
SMG Idea Exchange - https://community.microfocus.com/t5/Secure-Messaging-Gateway-Idea/idb-p/SMG_Ideas
Old method is still available for some products here: https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

Jump to solution

Just out of curiosity, because Java virtually runs the same everywhere (or should rather) if you saw this issue on a Linux based installation, how would you go about resolving it? I'll update my OP with stuff I have tried to resolve this in the mean time for more context.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi,

I don't know how exactly you tried to manually start the gwadminservice on your Windows server, but here's some documentation that you might find useful:

Managing the GroupWise Admin Service (Windows)

Cheers,

Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

Jump to solution
Thanks! I updated the OP with some more details, I have tried manual, automatic, and launching just the JAR (the one the service points to) via CLI. All fail.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

@Mitchell wrote:

I would like to point out that even trying to change a users password via ConsoleOne shows no errors but does NOT work either. Not sure if it's related.

You should not be using ConsoleOne with GroupWise 2014!

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
mhayduck
New Member.

Jump to solution

Thanks KBOYLE. I work with the OP of the post. We took over a client that is using GroupWise. We have never used it ourselves. So we are brand new with this software. We are learning slowly! We tried to change the password through console one, but it obviously didn't do anything.

This started happening after the server hard crashed due to a BSOD. We also changed the administrator password on the server as we were taking it over from a previous IT guy, and had to lock him out. Would the password change have anything to do with it?

0 Likes
mhayduck
New Member.

Jump to solution

Hi LauraBuckley,

I work with the OP of the post. Thank you for the suggestion, but sadly it didn't work. It looks like java updated recently. We are currently trying to install an older version of Java. Luckily, we have a log of what version it was previously.

0 Likes
mhayduck
New Member.

Jump to solution

EVERYONE!

We got the issue resolved. We ended up just renaming the .dll in system32, and it started working. It looks like the software checks through system32 first for the .dll. After renaming it, I believe the service started looking in the novell directory or the groupwise directory for the dll. I am know sure who put it in system32, but I don't care! It's working!

Thank you for all of your replies and ideas. It is always appreciated!

Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Thanks for posting your solution...helps others who may run into the same problem.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
Idea Exchange sites within this community are now coming online for some of the Collaboration Products!
GroupWise Idea Exchange - https://community.microfocus.com/t5/GroupWise-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/GWideas
SMG Idea Exchange - https://community.microfocus.com/t5/Secure-Messaging-Gateway-Idea/idb-p/SMG_Ideas
Old method is still available for some products here: https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
mhayduck
New Member.

Jump to solution

One of the biggest frustrations in IT is users who don't post solutions 😉

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.