umchs Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Server Specs for SLES and GW 12

I need to look into a new server to put SLES and GroupWise 2012 on it. I am having trouble finding server specs for this, so I was hoping to get a little advice. GW will be the only thing on this box, one PO with about 150 users. Hoping to build something or purchase something that isn't too expensive due to budget restraints.

Thanks
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Server Specs for SLES and GW 12

umchs;2250164 wrote:
I need to look into a new server to put SLES and GroupWise 2012 on it. I am having trouble finding server specs for this, so I was hoping to get a little advice. GW will be the only thing on this box, one PO with about 150 users. Hoping to build something or purchase something that isn't too expensive due to budget restraints.

Thanks

If this is going to be a dedicated physical setup (you are not planning to run GroupWise on a virtualised server) you should not need a big budget to find a decent server for those 150 users.

IMO, a dual core CPU with 4 GB of RAM would seem quite sufficient in this case. Getting a proper disk controller (with a true hardware raid handling if you are looking for a raid setup) & decent disks that can handle the I/O required is important too.
The A brand entry level servers that I've seen easily meat this requirement. Do make sure it's suitable for 64bit.

In any case, GroupWise 2012 has about the same requirements version 8 would demand.

I'm curious, you are not already virtualising servers?

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
umchs Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I work for a small non profit organization and we only have one server, never found the need for virtualized servers.

>>> magic31<magic31@no-mx.forums.novell.com> 3/6/2013 1:46 AM >>>

umchs;2250164 Wrote:

> I need to look into a new server to put SLES and GroupWise 2012 on it.
> I am having trouble finding server specs for this, so I was hoping to
> get a little advice. GW will be the only thing on this box, one PO with
> about 150 users. Hoping to build something or purchase something that
> isn't too expensive due to budget restraints.
>
> Thanks

If this is going to be a dedicated physical setup (you are not planning
to run GroupWise on a virtualised server) you should not need a big
budget to find a decent server for those 150 users.

IMO, a dual core CPU with 4 GB of RAM would seem quite sufficient in
this case. Getting a proper disk controller (with a true hardware raid
handling if you are looking for a raid setup) & decent disks that can
handle the I/O required is important too.
The A brand entry level servers that I've seen easily meat this
requirement. Do make sure it's suitable for 64bit.

In any case, GroupWise 2012 has about the same requirements version 8
would demand.

I'm curious, you are not already virtualising servers?

Cheers,
Willem

--
Knowledge Partner (voluntary sysop)

It ain't anything like Harry Potter.. but you gotta love the magic IT
can bring to this world
------------------------------------------------------------------------
magic31's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=2303
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=464618
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

umchs;2251779 wrote:
I work for a small non profit organization and we only have one server, never found the need for virtualized servers.

Two things, imo, that by themselves really make it worthwhile to (re)consider that need;

-Things like hardware replacement & disaster recovery plans can be drastically simplified (hardware dependency is not an issue for a virtual machine)
-Less hardware resources needed (unless you are now really running servers on outdated hardware that don't meet requirements to be able to properly virtualize, and don't have budget to replace them)

There are a couple of non-profit organizations I work with that have found this to be a great benefit. (They invested in new hardware three years ago, P2V'd their existing systems and renewed systems virtually. In these three years it has benefited them resource wise as also license wise).

Not trying to push you in a specific direction, just saying there are definitely allot of pros for choosing to virtualize.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

In article <513EDEF1.9454.0078.0@umchs.org>, Mike Snyder wrote:
> I work for a small non profit organization and we only have
> one server, never found the need for virtualized servers.

I'm actually considering basic virtualization for those smallest
clients with one server. At some point they may find a need for an
application that demands its own 'box', and virtualization allows you
to do so without (much) more hardware.

What I would do is make sure you don't allocate all of the drive space
to your SLES instance so that you at least have room to slip in
virtualization later if the need arises.

Do make sure it is a true hardware RAID controller. At the server entry
level there are many 'Win'RAID systems that cause all sorts of
challenges, even for Windows servers that it is intended for.

Andy Konecny
Knowledge Partner (voluntary SysOp)
KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Andy's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=75037

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
gleach1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

i'd consider virtualising it anyway, for a small PO you wouldnt cop such a performance hit

just pick something middle of the line on the VMWare HCL list with dual procs and 32 or 64 gig of memory, something like that is cheap as chips these days even for a non profit

put esxi free or essentials on it (again it'll cost you almost nothing) and virtualise your groupwise box, it will save you time and expense in the long run trust us

like Andy says steer well clear of software raid controllers and SATA disks in servers, make sure you get one with the battery backup as the performance gain can be quite a bit

if you *must* have a physical hardware box, anything with SAS disks, BBWC raid controller, xeon processor and 8gb of memory will be more than enough

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.