Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Setting up a conference room as a resource

Are there step by step instructions anywhere that can walk me through setting up our conference room as a resource so that we may use GroupWise to keep tracking of it's availability. We have just moved to GroupWise 8.

I have created a resource that I have set as a "place" and named it what our conference room is called. That's as far as I've been able to get. I can't figure out how to make it show where I have several other proxies set up, don't understand how to set it up to auto-accept or auto-decline and can't even quite grasp the concept of what it will do, unless it will just show up like the calendars I can view for the other proxies I have.

I would also like several other people to be able to have read-write-delete access to the calendar.

I have been searching this subject since early this and this is as far as I have gotten. Feel like beating my head against the wall. Any help appreciated!
Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Think of a resource as a "generic" mailbox that can only be proxied into.

So basically things like busy searches will search calendars for available times, etc. Just like any other user's mailbox/calendar would do.

From what I can tell, your first question:
How to make it show where I have several other proxies setup

I'm not sure what you mean there. You mean you want to see who you've given proxy access to the resource?

2) Don't understand how to set up auto-accept or auto-decline.
You will want to proxy into the resource as the OWNER of the resource (every resource has ONE and ONLY ONE owner in GroupWise). That Owner is the "all powerful Oz" of that resource. So the owner will then create some RULES to handle the mail processing. Something like: Accept if available, decline if busy (I'm just paraphrasing here). That's what we do. I think we have 2 or 3 rules for each resource, but not 100% sure.

3) I'm not aware of any way (short of third party utilities) to have a resource "show up" in someone's multi-user calendar or proxy list in GroupWise. The users will have to purposely proxy into the resource or perform a busy search to see the stuff.

4) Login to groupwise as the owner, then proxy into the resource, and then you can assign proxy access for other users. (just like any other user)

Just remember: A resource is a mailbox, like any other user, except for two major areas:
a) Novell doesn't charge you for this mailbox (unlike a user mailbox)
and
b) You cannot (easily) "login" directly to the resource. You must login as the owner and then proxy into the resource.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kjhurni;2068499 wrote:
Think of a resource as a "generic" mailbox that can only be proxied into.

So basically things like busy searches will search calendars for available times, etc. Just like any other user's mailbox/calendar would do.

From what I can tell, your first question:
How to make it show where I have several other proxies setup

I'm not sure what you mean there. You mean you want to see who you've given proxy access to the resource?

No, from the directions I was trying to follow, it told me to go to the dropdown of where proxies are listed, like where it usually says "Online". I do that, see myself at the top of course, and then two other proxies I have for other's in my division. The directions then said "click the resource you own. I the resource you own isn't listed in the Proxy pop-up list, click Proxy, type the name of the resource you own in the Name field, then click OK."

I do this but nothing happens. I still don't see "PMSD Conference Room" listed under my proxies. Maybe I'm not supposed too, just thinking I was because that's where I would assign people access to it, by somehow being "on/in" it. At this time I only see the resource listed in my "Frequent Contacts List", which is where I set it up.

I believe I need to move past this point before getting to the rest of your post. Am I not correct in thinking I would see the "Resource" name listed along with the other two people I have under proxy?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

The proxy button can be confusing (we get this all the time here).

So in YOUR GW client, click the little pulldown where your name is (online, as you noticed) and then click Proxy.
It should pop-up a window with a list of user you have ALREADY proxied into. Since you have not yet proxied into the conf. room, you can click the address book icon instead.
This should launch the Address Book, and it SHOULD be in the "GroupWise System Address Book" on the top "pulldown"
You should be able to search for the conference room at this point and once you find it, click OK

This should automatically add it to your list and actually "proxy" you into the resource at that point.

(you'll notice in the pulldown where it says "online" that it should now say : Proxy, and then below that, display the name of the resource/user that you are proxied into).
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kjhurni;2068516 wrote:
The proxy button can be confusing (we get this all the time here).

So in YOUR GW client, click the little pulldown where your name is (online, as you noticed) and then click Proxy.
It should pop-up a window with a list of user you have ALREADY proxied into. Since you have not yet proxied into the conf. room, you can click the address book icon instead.
This should launch the Address Book, and it SHOULD be in the "GroupWise System Address Book" on the top "pulldown"
You should be able to search for the conference room at this point and once you find it, click OK

This should automatically add it to your list and actually "proxy" you into the resource at that point.

(you'll notice in the pulldown where it says "online" that it should now say : Proxy, and then below that, display the name of the resource/user that you are proxied into).

Yeah me, I understood all that! And thank YOU for explaining it!

Ok, think I know what the issue is at this step, this has to be set up by the GroupWise Administrators as a resource, correct? To go into the main system wide address book? Because I have it in my personal address book and my frequest contacts as a resource, showing exactly what I named it and the "resource" icon, but when I try to make it a permanent proxy I can switch too, like the other's, it does not work. I click the proxy button, see the pop-up, and then locate it in those two locations I mentioned above, but when I click to get out of that, it does not save the connection.

And just as an aside, I had it in my frequent contacts yesterday but added the resource to my personal address book to see if it would work then. If my GW Admin has to add this, I will delete it from those two locations. And at this point, if that is correct, I am crossing my fingers that my admin WILL be willing to add it...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Yes, the System Admin (for lack of a better word) will create a Resource.
There's a pulldown in ConsoleOne to set the "visibility" of any user/resource/object in GroupWise. I believe the 4 levels are:
System (everyone can "see" the item in the address book)
Domain (everyone in the GroupWise Domain and "below" can see it, but nobody else can see it in the System Address Book)
Post Office (everyone in the PO can see it in their System Address Book, but nobody else can see it)
and
None (nobody can see it period)

However -
Even though you may not be able to SEE the name/address in the System Address Book, IF you know the EXACT name:
Some Resource (for example)
If you were to type that in EXACTLY into an email, calendar appt. or Proxy list, it would TRY to take you there (or send something to it).

The GroupWise client, by default, SHOULD "save" a list of of any/all users/items/resources that you have successfully proxied into.

For example, if you try to proxy into a user, and you don't have access, you'll get a D115 or something error message stating you don't have access and then the address will NOT be recorded into your "proxy" list.

I hope this helps.

It sounds like you went into your Personal Address Book and ADDED a "resource".

Unfortunately, that is NOT the same as a GroupWise "resource" (conference room) that you are trying to use.

Don't ask me why Novell named them the same.

The "resource' in your PAB (personal address book) or frequent contacts book is totally different.

So I think that's probably the confusion here.

(again, I didn't write the software, I don't know why Novell has the same name of something that means two diff things in the software, but they do).
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, I was adding the "resource" to my personal address book as I cannot add anything to the main GW one. I'll have to put in a Help Desk ticket to get them to add it, and that is...if they will. Thank you for your help up to this point!! Looks like I'm stuck until they do that and hopefully if they will, they will do it soon, so might be back shortly! Thank you VERY MUCH for your help so far!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

You are welcome! I'm glad I finally realized which "resource" you were trying to do this on.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.