Highlighted
New Member.

Setting up multiple addresses

This is really a general question
When we have users whose name changes due to marriage or divorce what is the best way to keep two address open during a certain period.
Our address format is Name.FirstName@domain.com
If I have a user whose email address was Doe.Jean@domain.com changing to Todd.Jean@domain.com Can I keep the two addresses active. I don't think nicknames work in this case. I tried testing and ConsoleOne wouldn't accept the ".".

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Setting up multiple addresses

Hi,

I've just tested this on GW2012 SP2 and am unable to create a nickname with a "." in it.

Let me see what I can find out from the Novell folk for you.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

scotsman;2275753 wrote:
This is really a general question
When we have users whose name changes due to marriage or divorce what is the best way to keep two address open during a certain period.
Our address format is Name.FirstName@domain.com
If I have a user whose email address was Doe.Jean@domain.com changing to Todd.Jean@domain.com Can I keep the two addresses active. I don't think nicknames work in this case. I tried testing and ConsoleOne wouldn't accept the ".".

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

while i don't have a 2012 system at hands right now: you shouldn't need to enter any dot in this scenario. let's assume your addressing rules allow last.first@domain.bla. let's further assume that the user has been renamed to jean todd, successfully receiving mail addressed to todd.jean@domain.com
just create a nickname, set "given name" to "jean" and "last name" to "doe". that's all about it. GW will consider doe.jean@domain.com a valid address as addressing rules do also apply to nicknames. just check the user in C1 -> groupwise -> internet addressing -> view email addresses
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi

You are absolutely correct - I don't know why I didn't think of this, but thank you for posting the solution.

Just note that you do have to put a name into the Object ID field, but that could just be the CN of the user. If you go to Internet Addressing and look at the e-mail addresses the Surname.Firstname@domain.com does show up under the e-mail nicknames.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

thanks very much for the information.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.