jonros Absent Member.
Absent Member.
751 views

Share photo via Mail - iOS

Is it possible to share photos in any way via Apple Mail set up with a GW account in iOS? When we try iOS says there isn't set up any email account. We've tried on iOS 10, 11 and 12 on different devices.

The accounts are set up as Exchange accounts.
Labels (1)
Tags (4)
0 Likes
13 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Share photo via Mail - iOS

Does that mean that you can't send photos (as opposed to text mails) with the generic iOS mail-app?
0 Likes
jonros Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Share photo via Mail - iOS

No, that's not it. Apple Mail (iOS and macOS) can do most of things, among other things attach different types of files. You can also share from other apps like Pictures, News apps and so on via message/sms, mail or other service. In this case we don't get it to work to share things via the Mail app in iOS when you only go a Groupwise account on the device. But if you have any another account not connected to GW, like a another mail service (Exchange, Hotmail, Gmail or what ever) it works.

Therefore, my question. Much seems to be so limited with GW. Can't understand why?!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Share photo via Mail - iOS

On Thu, 16 May 2019 12:24:02 GMT, jonros
<jonros@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:

>
>No, that's not it. Apple Mail (iOS and macOS) can do most of things,
>among other things attach different types of files. You can also share
>from other apps like Pictures, News apps and so on via message/sms, mail
>or other service. In this case we don't get it to work to share things
>via the Mail app in iOS when you only go a Groupwise account on the
>device. But if you have any another account not connected to GW, like a
>another mail service (Exchange, Hotmail, Gmail or what ever) it works.
>
>Therefore, my question. Much seems to be so limited with GW. Can't
>understand why?!


This isn't making sense... Your subject says "Share photo via Mail",
but when Mathias asked if you were unable to email photos, you said
that wasn't it. So please explain what exactly you cannot do.

The only limitation I can think of off the top of my head is that GMS
has the ability to set a maximum attachment size. Perhaps you are
running into that?

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
jonros Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Share photo via Mail - iOS

You're right, my misunderstanding.
0 Likes
jonros Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Share photo via Mail - iOS

Sorry for the earlier reply mahiasbraun. Misunderstood you. Normally you can send Photos but not in our case with GW accounts.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Share photo via Mail - iOS

On Thu, 16 May 2019 19:24:02 GMT, jonros
<jonros@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:

>
>Sorry for the earlier reply mahiasbraun. Misunderstood you. Normally you
>can send Photos but not in our case with GW accounts.


That is strange because GMS does not block photos. We send photos via
GMS all the time. Are you sure the photos you are trying to send do
not exceed the maximum attachment size you have specified in GMS on
the general tab?

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
jonros Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Share photo via Mail - iOS

ketter;2499895 wrote:
On Thu, 16 May 2019 19:24:02 GMT, jonros
<jonros@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:


That is strange because GMS does not block photos. We send photos via
GMS all the time. Are you sure the photos you are trying to send do
not exceed the maximum attachment size you have specified in GMS on
the general tab?

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner



It sure is strange. If we for example copy some photos from the Picture app, open Mail and create a new mail we can paste the photos into the mail and send it without any problems. But we can't share via mail from other apps. It says there's no mail configured and asks if you want to set up one. Doesn't help to set up a new one connected to GW, same result.

If we set up another mail account connected to another service we can share, but not via the GW account, only via the other service.

Hope I explain my self clear enough?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Share photo via Mail - iOS

And the GW account is for sure set as "default account" for sending mails generated "outside" of the mail app (settings -> mail -> default account)?
Do you have some sort of MDM running?
0 Likes
jonros Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Share photo via Mail - iOS

mathiasbraun;2499936 wrote:
And the GW account is for sure set as "default account" for sending mails generated "outside" of the mail app (settings -> mail -> default account)?
Do you have some sort of MDM running?


No, the GW account isn't set as default account under settings -> mail -> default account because it doesn't show in the account list. The GW mail account is set up as an Exchange account, if that matters in any way.

Yes, we do have an MDM running. We're using Jamf (10.9). We've looked through those settings and can't find anything that should prevent it.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Share photo via Mail - iOS

The phone doesn't know anything about GW. From the phone's perspective it's "just another ActiveSync account" AFAIK, on trying to share e.g. a photo per IOS takes whatever is defined as "default mail account". If there's none defined it doesn't know what to do. As a sidenote, from my experience (having at least five AS accounts on the phone), IOS sometimes uses an account different from the default one, but as long as a default is set at all it at least sends...
That being said the next step would obviously be to manually add the GW AS account on a device without any traces of MDM. This issue is very likely totally unrelated to GW as such.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Share photo via Mail - iOS

Jonros,

> No, the GW account isn't set as default account under settings -> mail
> -> default account because it doesn't show in the account list. The GW
> mail account is set up as an Exchange account, if that matters in any
> way.


and you are correct. It will not show on the device as the default mail
application because it is not.

>
> Yes, we do have an MDM running. We're using Jamf (10.9). We've looked
> through those settings and can't find anything that should prevent it.


What happens if you disable your MDM in the GMS admin console and
restart GMS? Can you do what you are wanting then? If so, it's an
issue with the MDM. If not, then it is GMS and we can look into it
deeper for you.

Pam

0 Likes
jonros Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Share photo via Mail - iOS

Seems to be related to our MDM system, Jamf in this case. All settings look right but we have created a case in their forum as well.

Thanks
0 Likes
Jan van de Voort Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Re: Share photo via Mail - iOS

I doubt whether this is Jamf related. I use ZCM als mdm solution, and same here. But what I do not understand: why do you not simply do this on your iOS device: from within the GMS profile on your iPhone, create new mail, enter recepient etc. etc. Hold your finger in the text area, and touch to the right until you see the option to add photo / video...select photo / video and send the photo to your recepient. Cheers, Jan
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.