Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Silently uninstalling Messenger 3.0 client (or upgrading to 18.2)?

Hi.

I'm trying to upgrade our workstation from Messenger 3.0.3 to 18.2 (on a different server) using Zenworks silent, but so far I'm unsuccesful (shouldn't this be really basic?)

I've configured 18.2 succesfully to run totally silent on a machine where no old version of Messenger exists, but when 3.0 is already installed, it *always* presents one dialog asking if I want to upgrade/install fresh or Remove everything. I don't want that dialog.

Being unsuccesful getting rid of this, I tried to silently uninstall the previous 3.0, but have been unsuccesful doing so too. I found the uninstall String in the registry for 3.0, but that too always asks for a final confirmation (are you sure you want to uninstall...). I tried everything I can find in the depth of the internet how to deal with Installshield setups to get rid of them 100% silent, but so far have not succeeded.

Someone must have done that before?

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Silently uninstalling Messenger 3.0 client (or upgrading to 18.2)?

Massimo,

Since we've not supported installing via ZEN, I would be surprised if the uninstall worked.  The fact that you are getting it to work with a dialog puts you ahead of others who have tried.

Pam

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Pam,

Well, considering there's now a bug in 18.2 that outright breaks uninstalling completely, I'm not surprised.... (The uninstall command they use in 18.2 is lacking quotes around the path, so it tries to rundll c:\program)

Not to mention that the whole 18.2 client docs talk about nvlmsgr* files everywhere where they are all gwmsgr* now (since 18.0).

It's those "small" things and their sheer amount that make things really annoying.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
No emails please!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Massimo,

I have asked our doc fellow to make the changes in the references to nvlmsgr.  Give me the details on the uninstall and I will write that one up.

Pam

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Thanks Pam. I had already commented on the docs.

The uninstall is really just as I wrote. Trying to uninstall GW Messenger 18.2 from "Apps &Features" in W10 just produces an error message "Problem starting "C:\Program" The specified module can't be found", which is because the uninstall string in the registry isn't put in quotes, but uses long path names, As such, the command to start ends with the Space in "Program Files".

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
No emails please!
0 Likes
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

I had a very difficult time attempting to update Messenger clients. I was never able to figure out why when I attempted to install a new version of the product silently on a windows system with an earlier version of the messenger client the installer would fail. The error was being generated because the installer didn't see the new release as a new version, instead the installer would prompt the user to repair or remove the existing version. I had a incident open for a while before deciding it wasn't worth it.

I used ZCM for the initial deployment of the client software. I tried the update using a batch file and zcm. I didn't try the software deployment feature of messenger, it wouldn't work in our environment, our users couldn't handle it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@raronson wrote:

I had a very difficult time attempting to update Messenger clients. I was never able to figure out why when I attempted to install a new version of the product silently on a windows system with an earlier version of the messenger client the installer would fail. The error was being generated because the installer didn't see the new release as a new version, instead the installer would prompt the user to repair or remove the existing version. I had a incident open for a while before deciding it wasn't worth it.

I used ZCM for the initial deployment of the client software. I tried the update using a batch file and zcm. I didn't try the software deployment feature of messenger, it wouldn't work in our environment, our users couldn't handle it.

That is because they use the same guid for all versions, which is a real pain too, yes.

To update 18.2 over a previous version silently with ZCM, add a delete registry action before installing it, removing the hklm/software entry of messenger, and also the uninstall section for messenger in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Once those are gone, the new install will work silently instead of asking what to do with the old version, and work.

It's a pain this is so hard.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
No emails please!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Thanks so much. This has bugged me for years.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.