Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Slow search in shared folder

Hi Forum,

if a client is in caching mode but searches in a shared folder, the search runs online on the server, correct?
AFAIK shared folders are also cached somehow in the pd0000... files (or what's their correct name syntax?)... But are those files indexed?

Background of asking: searching in a shared folder took about 10-20 seconds...

Thanks,
Pascal

"Have you tried turn it off and on again?"
Labels (1)
0 Likes
14 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Slow search in shared folder

Hi Pascal,

As far as I know the search runs on the server if the client is in Online mode. The shared folders are represented by a puxxx (Prime User Databases) folder if shared across Post Offices. Yes, again as far as I am aware, these are indexed as part of your Quick Finder index routine.

So, a few questions for you.... are these folders shared across post offices? Do these folders get a lot of new e-mail on a daily basis? What version of the client and backend are you running?

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura,

they are on the same POA, both use client version 14.0.1 8-12-2014. Server is on 14.0.2 -120664.
I have to ask how much mails arrive every day in this folder. I'l come back as soon as I get an answer.

While investigating I noticed a high POA utilization. Near 100%. Luckily this is a virtual server and I can add more vCPUs tonight. Maybe this will speed up the searches to an acceptable level 🙂
If not, there is something other wrong...

Cheers,
Pascal

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura,

in this folder arrive about 10-15 mails per day.

Cheers,
Pascal

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Pascal,

That number, being so low, rules out your Quick Finder Indexing process on your POA not keeping up with the number of mails. But then a thought has struck me... the owner of the shared folder, how much e-mail do they receive a day? It could be that the owner's mailbox is not completly indexing due to volume of mail.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura,

had the same thought 🙂 I'm indexing right now the owners mailbox for about 2 hours now. It seems NOT to be completely indexed:
11:43:03 2EE5 QuickFinder: 50100 items indexed
11:43:03 2EE5 Indexing on attachment (xyz)
11:43:03 2EE5 Indexing on attachment (xyz)
11:43:04 2EE5 Indexing on attachment (xyz

Cheers,
Pascal

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Pascal,

Just following up... any news on this issue? Did a full index on the owner's mailbox make any difference to the searching on a shared folder?

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura,

unfortunately not. Could be the reason for that, that there are several hundred folders shared from one user?

Cheers,
Pascal

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Pascal,

To be honest it sounds like the server is not totally indexing that user's mail. What is your Quick Finder set to - default or 999? The QFlevel 999 setting would be in your POA startup file.

By default GroupWise only indexes the first 500 or 1000 mails (I can't remember which - sorry!) If there are more mails than that then the Quick Finder indexing process is not going to keep up.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura,

it's set to default. I will change the value to 999 for a smaller POA and then for the big one (where the slow search results happen). I will let you know how it goes 🙂

Cheers,
Pascal

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Pascal,

I would suggest that you wait for Friday night before doing this. If your indexes are indeed far behind this process will be incredibly server intensive. I also suggest that you run the Quick Finder index process more regularly than once a day as is the default, but only change this setting once your Post Offices have completed a full index. I set mine to run every 4 hours so only mail recieved in the past four hours need to be indexed.

Please let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura,

I setup the QF interval to 4 hours but don't see any indexing messages like
0406poa.002:02:53:49 FD47 QuickFinder: 1830 items indexed
0406poa.002:02:53:49 FD47 Indexing on attachment (123.pdf)

What could be the reason why there are no entries over the day? I see much indexing at the defined start time (8 pm) in the logfile. Last night they stopped at about midnight.
After that no more index log entries.

Thanks,
Pascal

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.