bendeichp Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1427 views

Slow search results (SOAP)

Hi,

(not sure if this is the right place for such a question, maybe move this to "DEV: GroupWise Web Service (SOAP)"?!)

It's about our email archive, which has a slow perfomance. We tracked that down to a simple search in groupwise.
In Detail: The application connects to the groupwise soap port via https as a trusted key app.
Log in to a user and descending into folders. In every folder it queries groupwise with a search for mails between a specific time frame (e.g. items where older than one year).
Here is an example of the filter: Filter[(&(modify > 2015-03-03T10:12:52.966+01:00)(&(creation < 2015-03-04T08:00:53.477Z)(&(size >= 0))))]

This searches take a very long time, about 3-5 seconds. It take the same time for folders with 500 Mails up to 10.000 mails.
Anyway, this is much too slow as we have thousands of folders which has to be checked.

Do such searches take in general so long? I'm thinking about the GW Mobility Service which also connects via SOAP...

On the other side: Seaches with the Client seems to be way faster. I have to admit that I can't use the exact filter like the above one. I can only search for a time frame but not for attributes lile "modified and creation".

Sooo, any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,
Pascal

"Have you tried turn it off and on again?"
Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Slow search results (SOAP)

In article <bendeichp.7c0ey1@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>, Bendeichp
wrote:
> (not sure if this is the right place for such a question, maybe move
> this to "DEV: GroupWise Web Service (SOAP)"?!)


That might be the best bet.
A few things I would check first
- The POA logs, especially if you set them to at least verbose, and see
what they show when you do a query. The answer might be right there.
- What is CPU and RAM usage when those queries are run? Do they push it
harder than the normal client based queries? Perhaps you are getting
close to that threshold of needing some more of those resources.
- Packet capture the query to see if there is any extra back and forth
happening or some timeouts.

Further question I would have for the developer types, does the SOAP
accessed queries make use of the GroupWise indexes?


Andy of
http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
bendeichp Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Slow search results (SOAP)

Hi Andy
- The POA logs, especially if you set them to at least verbose, and see
what they show when you do a query. The answer might be right there.

With verbose log level on, this is all I can see:
00:09:44 6AEE SOAP command:[loginRequest] requested from 127.0.0.1 User session(mxxxg)

- What is CPU and RAM usage when those queries are run? Do they push it
harder than the normal client based queries? Perhaps you are getting
close to that threshold of needing some more of those resources.


While investigating another case here, I noticed high CPU utilization in the same POA. But only during working time.The utilization is low during night while the archive appliance is running (and SOAP requests are slow)... For now I would say high load and the slow searches are not really related...

Thanks,
Pascal

"Have you tried turn it off and on again?"
0 Likes
mfaust Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Slow search results (SOAP)

Hi Pascal,

you can see more details (or almost all) regarding soap if you enable soap logging - just go to the log settings in the web console of the poa and tick the respective things under "SOAP Logging Options" - be aware that some of the soap logging is in a separate log file (not the poa log).

Another point we recently discovered is, that in 2014 R2 for some reason the Proxy Calendars are traversed to the other mailbox for some archiving tools. Even if the archive tool just says 'all mail messages' the requests over SOAP trigger the POA to read the content of the proxy calendar, even on remote servers. Only workaround so far (and enough for our case) was to exclude everything below Calendar.
Do you have proxy calendars in the user which you read from via SOAP? If yes, try to remove them and check if the search time stays the same.

kind regards
Mathias
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.