Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
5373 views

SyncEngine won't start

So we downloaded the Caledonia quickstart, the tech preview docs, the install and fired everything up. The SLES 11 64bit server is setup as a 60 day eval.

Everything installed and configured fine except the DataSync Engine will not start. Doing a "rcdatasync status" command says "DataSync Engine: dead"
Doing a "rcdatasync-syncengine start" comes back with "failed".

Going into system services and manually starting it comes back with "/etc/init.d/datasync-syncengine start returned 1 (unspecified error):"

Going into the web I/F shows the "default" engine stopped (along with both the connectors).

Anyone have any idea what could be the issue? This is the 3rd time we have installed from scratch with the same result every time.

:confused:

Chris Lowe
Datacenter Admin
City of Boise
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
13 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: SyncEngine won't start

Hi,

any errors in /var/log/datasync/syncengine/engine.log ?

Walter
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: SyncEngine won't start

Here is a log clip with the failure:

2010-04-06 12:33:06.282 INFO [MainThread] [outgoing:27] [eventID:] [objectID:] [] Unable to contact Config Engine at https://localhost:8121/service.wsdl, attempt 4 of 5, sleeping for 2 seconds...
2010-04-06 12:33:08.281 INFO [MainThread] [outgoing:40] [eventID:] [objectID:] [] Connecting to Config Engine at https://localhost:8121/service.wsdl
2010-04-06 12:33:08.915 INFO [MainThread] [odbc:178] [eventID:] [objectID:] [] Connecting to database at UID=datasync_user;DATABASE=datasync;DRIVER={DataSync_postgresql};SERVER=localhost;PWD=*****;PORT=5432;READONLY=no
2010-04-06 12:33:08.922 INFO [MainThread] [odbc:227] [eventID:] [objectID:] [] Database connection failed, attempt 1 of 5, sleeping for 2 seconds...
2010-04-06 12:33:10.921 INFO [MainThread] [odbc:227] [eventID:] [objectID:] [] Database connection failed, attempt 2 of 5, sleeping for 2 seconds...
2010-04-06 12:33:12.921 INFO [MainThread] [odbc:227] [eventID:] [objectID:] [] Database connection failed, attempt 3 of 5, sleeping for 2 seconds...
2010-04-06 12:33:14.921 INFO [MainThread] [odbc:227] [eventID:] [objectID:] [] Database connection failed, attempt 4 of 5, sleeping for 2 seconds...
2010-04-06 12:33:16.921 ERROR [MainThread] [engine:311] [eventID:] [objectID:] [] Connection to SQL database failed: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'odbcString'
2010-04-06 12:33:16.925 INFO [MainThread] [syncEngine:18] [eventID:] [objectID:] [] Sync Engine stopped.
2010-04-06 12:34:50.950 INFO [MainThread] [syncEngine:27] [eventID:] [objectID:] [] Starting Sync Engine v1.2 r422.




WalterH;1958630 wrote:
Hi,

any errors in /var/log/datasync/syncengine/engine.log ?

Walter
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: SyncEngine won't start

clowe;1958732 wrote:
Here is a log clip with the failure:

2010-04-06 12:33:06.282 INFO [MainThread] [outgoing:27] [eventID:] [objectID:] [] Unable to contact Config Engine at https://localhost:8121/service.wsdl, attempt 4 of 5, sleeping for 2 seconds...
2010-04-06 12:33:08.281 INFO [MainThread] [outgoing:40] [eventID:] [objectID:] [] Connecting to Config Engine at https://localhost:8121/service.wsdl
2010-04-06 12:33:08.915 INFO [MainThread] [odbc:178] [eventID:] [objectID:] [] Connecting to database at UID=datasync_user;DATABASE=datasync;DRIVER={DataSync_postgresql};SERVER=localhost;PWD=*****;PORT=5432;READONLY=no
2010-04-06 12:33:08.922 INFO [MainThread] [odbc:227] [eventID:] [objectID:] [] Database connection failed, attempt 1 of 5, sleeping for 2 seconds...
2010-04-06 12:33:10.921 INFO [MainThread] [odbc:227] [eventID:] [objectID:] [] Database connection failed, attempt 2 of 5, sleeping for 2 seconds...
2010-04-06 12:33:12.921 INFO [MainThread] [odbc:227] [eventID:] [objectID:] [] Database connection failed, attempt 3 of 5, sleeping for 2 seconds...
2010-04-06 12:33:14.921 INFO [MainThread] [odbc:227] [eventID:] [objectID:] [] Database connection failed, attempt 4 of 5, sleeping for 2 seconds...
2010-04-06 12:33:16.921 ERROR [MainThread] [engine:311] [eventID:] [objectID:] [] Connection to SQL database failed: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'odbcString'
2010-04-06 12:33:16.925 INFO [MainThread] [syncEngine:18] [eventID:] [objectID:] [] Sync Engine stopped.
2010-04-06 12:34:50.950 INFO [MainThread] [syncEngine:27] [eventID:] [objectID:] [] Starting Sync Engine v1.2 r422.


Sounds like Postgres isn't running. By default it's not started after you initially install Mobility, so you'll have to start it with rcpostgresql start.

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: SyncEngine won't start

Found the problem. NOTE: do NOT use special characters in the database admin password. Reinstalled it using 12345 and everything works now.

Onward and upward.....


jmarton;1958809 wrote:
Sounds like Postgres isn't running. By default it's not started after you initially install Mobility, so you'll have to start it with rcpostgresql start.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: SyncEngine won't start

clowe;1958868 wrote:
Found the problem. NOTE: do NOT use special characters in the database admin password. Reinstalled it using 12345 and everything works now.

Onward and upward.....


Do you mind sharing which special characters you used? Special characters shouldn't be a problem, but certain ones such as $ could be mistaken for shell variables in which case they would have to be escaped.

For instance, pa$$word probably wouldn't work but I bet pa\$\$word would (and would be translated as pa$$word).

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: SyncEngine won't start

semi-colon (;) at the end


jmarton;1959343 wrote:
Do you mind sharing which special characters you used? Special characters shouldn't be a problem, but certain ones such as $ could be mistaken for shell variables in which case they would have to be escaped.

For instance, pa$$word probably wouldn't work but I bet pa\$\$word would (and would be translated as pa$$word).
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: SyncEngine won't start

I had used the "$" in my database password and had the same problem with connecting to the database. I changed the password and can now connect.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: SyncEngine won't start

Bug 612650 was created to fix this issue

Regards
Monica
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: SyncEngine won't start

Hi,

I see this is an old thread, and don't know if the problem you had was with Postgresql or GMS that did not handle the special character in password.

Anyway, just want to update this thread with new information as I've been searching for days for a solution. I had similar problems when upgrading GMS 2.0.1 to 2.1. This also patched up server from SLES11 SP2 to SP3.

Problem was that engine could not log into Postgresql, but I could manually with 'pgsql' command. Reason was that customer had + sign in PG password. Worked fine with old versions, but not after upgrade.

So did bug 612650 got reintroduced, or is this a new bug?? Would be great if Novell could add this problem/solution in a TID 😉 Maybe also update http://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7008764 that the PG password itself could be a problem for GMS....

Patrick Frontéri # GroupWiseR of Norway # Active part of the OpenHorizons and NetworkPartners.no Collaboration
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: SyncEngine won't start

pfronteri;2351952 wrote:
Hi,

I see this is an old thread, and don't know if the problem you had was with Postgresql or GMS that did not handle the special character in password.

Anyway, just want to update this thread with new information as I've been searching for days for a solution. I had similar problems when upgrading GMS 2.0.1 to 2.1. This also patched up server from SLES11 SP2 to SP3.

Problem was that engine could not log into Postgresql, but I could manually with 'pgsql' command. Reason was that customer had + sign in PG password. Worked fine with old versions, but not after upgrade.

So did bug 612650 got reintroduced, or is this a new bug?? Would be great if Novell could add this problem/solution in a TID 😉 Maybe also update http://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7008764 that the PG password itself could be a problem for GMS....


Hi there, I'm having the exact same issue in trying to upgrade GMS2.01 to 2.1. The gms engine won't start. I can login to the PG database with the datasync_user credentials (which contain special characters - but not +). Can I ask you how did you get around the problem. I'm not sure how to change the database password and how to let the config files reflect the change. Thanks for any help

Lou
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: SyncEngine won't start

Hi Lou,

I know that you can do this by having DSAPP installed (highly recommended) and running it with the change password switch.

TID on DSAPP: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7015282

Run dsapp with the Mobility db password switch:
From a terminal window:
dsapp.sh -db

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.