Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Third-Party User Management Tools

I'm looking for recommendations for third-party user management tools that can do the following:

- Identify and bulk-expire/no visibility users that are inactive for >XXX days
- Identify users with auto-forward rules
- Bulk-delete inactive accounts (from GW database only, not eDirectory accounts)
- Maybe even bulk-move inactive/expired accounts to a "dead accounts" post office?

I have an immediate mandate to clean up our environment, and I don't see how to do this in bulk with existing native tools. It's just one guy (me) versus 42 post offices and 23,000 user accounts...

Thanks!

Greg Amy GroupWise Admin Hartford (CT) Hospital
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Third-Party User Management Tools

Hi Greg,

You could take a look at the JRB utilities for GroupWise: Utilities for Managing Netware & AD by JRB Software

They may be able to help you out.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You can create your own tools using the GroupWise Administrative Object API and the GroupWise Object API.

Please refer to the Cool Solutions article I wrote ( shameless self promotion ) "Scripting GroupWise" - Scripting GroupWise | Novell User Communities for more information on the GroupWise Admin API. I suggest that you modify the script listUser.vbs to include domain name ( GWUser.PostOffice.Domain.Name ) , post office name ( GWUser.PostOffice.Name ), visibility ( GWUser.Visibility ) and last login date ( GWUser.MailboxLastLoginDate). You will need to run an audit report on each post office to update the MailboxLastLoginDate property. Import the output into Excel and sort / filter accordingly for analysis.

Setting an expiration date ( MailboxExpDate ) and / or visibility ( Visibility ) is done by assigning values to the respective properties and using the commit method - e.g GWUser.Commit

Identifying accounts with auto-forward rules can be using GroupWise Object to log into each account using a trusted application key. I posted ( more shameless self promotion ) some sample code to list proxy access in another thread - https://forums.novell.com/novell-product-discussions/collaboration/groupwise/groupwise-2012/gw2012-install-setup-admin/467463-proxy-list-report-post2268464.html#poststop. It is not too difficult to modify the code to iterate through rules and select those that include the action forward.

Deleting is be done using the the delete method - e.g. GWuser.Delete(eadGW) where eadGW is constant with the value 1.

I would advise against using the Administrative Object API to automate moving accounts. Best practices to avoid problems during moves involve running GWCheck against user objects until there are no errors. I perform structure, contents, contents with attclip and contents with deldupfolders checks until there are no error before moving accounts. There is also the issue of how many simultaneous moves the post office agents can handle. More accurately it is the number of simultaneous purges on the source post office that need to be monitored.

If you need more help with coding let me know.

Sincerely,

Bryan Vandenberg

gregamy;2268994 wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations for third-party user management tools that can do the following:

- Identify and bulk-expire/no visibility users that are inactive for >XXX days
- Identify users with auto-forward rules
- Bulk-delete inactive accounts (from GW database only, not eDirectory accounts)
- Maybe even bulk-move inactive/expired accounts to a "dead accounts" post office?

I have an immediate mandate to clean up our environment, and I don't see how to do this in bulk with existing native tools. It's just one guy (me) versus 42 post offices and 23,000 user accounts...

Thanks!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

gregamy,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com/

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

In article <gregamy.5x6rtd@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Gregamy wrote:
> I'm looking for recommendations for third-party user management tools
> ....
> I have an immediate mandate to clean up our environment, and I don't
> see how to do this in bulk with existing native tools. It's just one guy
> (me) versus 42 post offices and 23,000 user accounts...

A real and interesting challenge I see.
GWAVA's Redline would help with the reporting side of things, their
Vertigo might help with some of the rest, and discussing the issues with
them before making your purchase may also bring up some solutions that are
otherwise buried.

Andy Konecny
Knowledge Partner (voluntary SysOp)
KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Andy's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=75037

___
“i’ve sworn an oath of solitude til the blight is purged from these lands”
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.