marksammon Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thousands of Duplicate emails appearing in Trash

Hi,

I'm experiencing an issue with my new GMS Server. The issue appears to show itself as multiple messages in/from the WiP (Drafts) folder and/or many messages (increasing with time) in the Trash folder.

Recently I had to remove 32000 messages from my Trash and for another user who had 50000 in Trash and 30000 in WiP (which took 24 hours to remove).

When it was at it's peak, the GMS server was telling us that around 250,000 items where awaiting processing by Groupwise.

We can't remove the items from Trash by default as we use Retain and the Integrations option prevents users from deleting items until they have been archived (which we do after 7 days). So to remove the items we had to disable the archiving, delete all items from WiP and Trash, then resync the mobile devices and re-enable the archiving.

Since I have done this I can today see 4-5 messages in trash that appear to be duplicates of the same message, however this looks like the message is at various stages of composition.

Two things:
1. How could the user have ended up with 30000/50000 messages in these folders in the space of a week
2. Is it possible that when using gmail, it is autosaving the message in drafts but as retain is preventing deletion of emails, these messages are staying in trash at the various stages of composition?

Hope this makes sense

Thanks

Mark
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Thousands of Duplicate emails appearing in Trash

Hi Mark,

GMS 18.1.1 has just been released. Amongst the bug fixes is this:

1119742 - Fixed issue where Work in Progress items are saved to trash folder many times.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi Laura,

Thanks for your response. I'm upgrading now so will see what happens.

Will the update clean up the mess that was previously created? Is there any remedial actions I need to take to clean items from WiP and Trash and if so can this be done centrally or do I have to do it one at a time for each user?

Thanks

Mark
0 Likes
Absent Member.

I put the update on last week and initially my problem went away. After forcing a re-sync of a couple of mailboxes the number of events waiting to be processed by Groupwise dropped from 252,000 to 24.

This morning however, we have noticed that one mailbox now has 28,000 items in the WiP folder which has increased from next to nothing in 2 days.

Is it possible the problem is not fixed?
Is there some remedial actions we need to take to clear up mailboxes after the latest patches were applied?

Thanks

Mark
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

In article <marksammon.9057pz@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>, Marksammon
wrote:
> Is it possible the problem is not fixed?
> Is there some remedial actions we need to take to clear up mailboxes
> after the latest patches were applied?

Confirm that the both the POA and GMS are on the new code/builds. One
part being old could trigger it.

Take a look at the rules of those users impacted, perhaps we have a
dueling rules thing happening where a behaviour on a device triggers a
rule and vise versa.

There is a GWCheck misc option for flushing all instances of a subject
that might help, but it does ALL instances based on that subject (so
better to never run against a PO, only against individual users).

Andy of
http://KonecnyConsulting.ca/gw/gwmobility.html in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!
GMS troubleshooting tips at
https://www.konecnyad.ca/andyk/gwmobility.htm

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.