DNewman Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Time issue seems odd to me

I put a secondary domain and po at a remote location - running 8.03 on Sles/Oes and moved all of the "local" users to that po.
while everything seems to run ok we have a weird time issue.
Mail into and out of the new mailboxes shows a three and a half hour time difference both in the date column in the groupwise client and in the printed header of the email.
The odd thing is that if I go to the properties of the email - the Creation date and the File date and time are both correct.
I can't see any time issues with the servers (primary or secondary) and especially something that would be 3:30 minutes off
there is a timezone difference between the pri and sec but that's just 1 hour.

Any thoughts?

As a workaround I have had my users add the creation column to see when they actually received the email as our clients have time critical projects.

Thanks
Dennis
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
dzanre1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Time issue seems odd to me

DNewman wrote:

> there is a timezone difference between the pri and sec but that's just 1 hour.

The timezone is almost certainly the cause, either in GW itself or on the
servers. There are some odd timezones that are 30 minutes apart, so I would
first start looking there. Workstations could also be at play, but it would
seem unlikely that all of your workstations would be off!

--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner
Are you a GroupWise Power Administrator? Join our site.
http://www.caledonia.net/register

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
DNewman Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Danita,

Thanks for the reply - Oh how I wish it were that easy - I've checked and double checked the PO object and the domain object - both say US eastern time.
If I send email from a mailbox on the secondary to the primary - everything is correct (a 1 hour time difference - Eastern to Central)
If I send mail from a mailbox on the primary to the secondary - it shows up right away, but says 3:30 minutes later than it should (in Date/Time, but not in Created)
If I send email from a mailbox on the secondary to a GMail account - the header shows the 3:30 offset, but the properties of the mail shows correctly.
I would be happy to send email from that po to anyone that wants to see for themselves.
Other than the PO Object and the DOM object - Where should I be looking for a time difference
and how would it be getting UTC minus 30 minutes - - Is there a special timezone out there for Hy Brasil?

The workstations all get their time settings from "time.windows.com" the windows default.

Thanks for looking into this - I just hope that I can get it figured out because as small of an issue that I think it is (they get their email, it just looks like it gets read before they officially receive it)
but it seems that this office uses the received time to track how long it takes them to do their work.

Dennis
0 Likes
dzanre1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DNewman wrote:

> If I send email from a mailbox on the secondary to a GMail account - the
> header shows the 3:30 offset, but the properties of the mail shows correctly.
> I would be happy to send email from that po to anyone that wants to see for
> themselves.

danita at caledonia dot net please!

--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Dennis

In ConsoleOne if you select your GroupWise system and then click on Tools | GroupWise (I can't remember which of the GroupWise options you go into) somewhere there is a sub-option for Time Zones. Check there for the time zone selected for each Post Office and ensure that the DST etc is configured properly here. Your agents pull their time zone information from these settings and I've seen them be off before in GroupWise 8.

For example... I'm in GMT +2 Harare, Pretoria and I had to clear out DST on the Egypt time zone in order to get my selected time zone to work correctly? This was a bug and was not evident in newer releases of GroupWise.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
dzanre1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

laurabuckley wrote:

> In ConsoleOne if you select your GroupWise system and then click on Tools |
> GroupWise (I can't remember which of the GroupWise options you go into)
> somewhere there is a sub-option for Time Zones

There are timezone settings in System Operations.
--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
buckesfeld Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Dennis,

did you check the server/OS timezone settings, as Danita suggested?

Uwe

--
Novell Knowledge Associate
Please don't send me support related e-mail unless I ask you to do so.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.