Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Top Down Rebuild?

GW14.2.1 on SLES11 SP4

It has been recommended to me to perform a top-down rebuild of my GW databases. However, I haven't found anything that lays out the process very well. There also seem to be a lot of caveats.

The context is that I have a problem with administering users in a PO and domain that were recently (10 days ago) upgraded from GW2012 to 14.2.1 and merged into a larger GW system as a secondary domain.

Presumably, I begin with the Primary domain database. It appears that this can be done from the GW Admin Console. However, the R2 documentation (https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise2014r2/gw2014_guide_admin/data/adm_db_maint_rebuild.html) says it needs to be done using gwadminutil rebuild. To further declarify things, there are several comments recommending against a rebuild of a Primary domain database.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to proceed?

Many thanks,
CB
Labels (1)
0 Likes
33 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Top Down Rebuild?

Hi CB

Take a look here: https://www.novell.com/communities/coolsolutions/cool_tools/groupwise-1400-top-down-rebuild/

Please let us know how it goes.

Cheers.
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you Laura. Have you or anyone you know used this utility?
CB
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi CB,

Me personally, that would be a no. I'm sure that folks more experienced with using the tool and/or doing top down rebuilds will comment shortly.

I know from personal experience that on my primary domain I had to use the gwadmin util. You can't rebuild a primary domain from within the web Admin Console, unless something has automagically changed!

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So....I ran gwtopdown against my test GW system (Primary domain w/ no POs and two Secondary domains each with one PO). No problems encountered and nothing overtly broken. The resulting log is pretty good for showing what took place.

Looking at the wpdomain.db and wphost.db files afterwards, here's what I see:
* The primary wpdomain.db file size does not change. The timestamp reflects the time that gwtopdown runs.
* The secondary wpdomain.db file size becomes the same as the primary wpdomain.db. The timestamps are updated.
* The wphost.db file size is the same across all POs.

Drawing some conclusions... The secondary wpdomain.db files are rebuilt from the primary wpdomain.db (as advertised). This explains why they are all the same size. The wphost.db files are rebuilt from their respective secondary wpdomain.db file. Because the wpdomain.db files are all, effectively, the same, it follows that all of the resulting wphost.db files would also be the same.

What isn't clear is why the primary wpdomain.db timestamp changes. What, if anything, in it changes?

Also, this all seems to assume that the primary wpdomain.db is gold. If it is questionable, does it first need to be rebuilt from a (presumably) healthy secondary wpdomain.db?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

When doing a rebuild a backup is created of the wpdomain.db. Then a new one is created and records copied across from the backup to the new one hence the timestamp change.

Your primary wpdomain.db is indeed gold.

Perhaps explain exactly why you are wanting to do a top down rebuild.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So begins the tale....
We are a hospital with a large affiliated practice. We managed their independent GW8 system running in VMs on an old and under-powered ESX host server. "Managed" is misleading; it was mostly hoping something didn't break. We decided that the best course of action was to upgrade them to GW2014 and merge them into our GW system as a secondary domain. Having them an external domain was rejected because we want to share calendars, etc.

We brought in a consultant to do the work. Although a bit rocky at times, the practice's GW is now merged into our own. However, we encountered a problem. We designated an account in the merged domain to be a Domain Administrator. However, we found that this account could open and edit some user accounts but not others. The user accounts that the admin could not open and edit displayed the message, "Waiting for replication to occur. Checking object status...", when clicking on them. An account designated as a System Administrator did not have this problem.

Digging a little further, we found an interesting anomaly. The merged domain and its one PO are listed in uppercase in the GW Admin Console. The user accounts that the Domain Admin can edit show their domain and PO in uppercase. The user accounts that the Domain Admin can't edit show their domain and PO in lowercase. All user account names appear in lowercase. Apart from the inability of the Domain Admin to edit these user accounts, everything else seems to be working fine.

When new accounts are added to the domain, they show up with uppercase domain and PO names and are fully editable. When we move a user account having a lowercase domain and PO to another post office and back, the user account subsequently shows an uppercase domain and PO and is fully editable.

Prior to merging the practice's GW into our own, their GW system synch'ed and authenticated to their eDirectory system (which existed only to support and manage GW). The merged domain and PO were disassociated from eDirectory and now run without any directory association.

After we discovered this problem, our consultant ran an off-line rebuild of the merged domain and PO's databases. This did not fix the problem. His recommended next step is to perform a top-down rebuild. Our GW system suddenly unexpectedly became my responsibility last February. We haven't done a top-down since and I don't know when the last time it might have been run.

Be careful what you ask for.... 🙂
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

On the accounts that can't be administered, check the ofuser directory on that server and let us know if the user dbs are in upper or lower case.

Just a side note, rightly or wrongly so, in 21 years of administering GroupWise systems I have only done one top down rebuild on a live system. All the others were in my labs where I had purposefully messed things up. I do not believe top down rebuilds to be part of routing maintenance and should only be undertaken as a last ditch measure to correct severe problems.

Many thanks,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

All of the ofuser/user*.db* files are in lowercase.

Is you position on top-downs based on "it's (usually) unnecessary" or "it's risky"?

I noticed an odd thing: All of my primary and secondary domain wpdomain.db files are about 20MB except for one secondary domain which is 16MB. This secondary domain is my largest with 4000+ accounts and 5 POs. The other domains have 1 or 2 POs and fewer than 1000 accounts.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Ok, when the system administrator logs in what domain are they connecting to? Primary or secondary that own the post office? And take a look at the domain administrator, the one with the problem, and tell us that.

With regards to the size of the db's - when last did you recover disk space on them?

My position on top down rebuilds are that they are not necessary except for extreme circumstances. But please bear in mind that it's a personal opinion of mine!

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Good morning!

We log into the console primary domain and then change the Connected Domain to the newly merged domain. I also logged directly into the secondary domain's console and had the same results.

I have two Domain Admins; both are in the domain's PO. The first account is a user who was migrated. His domain and post office show as lowercase in PO's user list. The second account was added after the merge. Its domain and post office show as uppercase in the user list. Neither Admin account works any better than the other.

re: .db sizes. I don't know. I haven't done it since I inherited the system (at least, that I know of) and I don't know if or when my predecessor might have.

Thank you for your perspective on the rebuild.
CB
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi CB,

If the administrator remains connected to the primary domain what happens?

What OS is this part of your system running on? Was it migrated from NetWare or Windows to Linux at any point? I'm beginning to think that the store lowercase option might not have been used and that case sensitivity within GroupWise is playing up. I think that there are inconsistencies between what is stored on disk and what is stored in your wphost & wpdomain dbs.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.