Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Tracking emails within the Post office

I hope this is the right forum for this, but I am trying to track some emails that were supposedly sent to another employee but they never got them. The office manager received a couple of emails from an outside client and supposedly sent them to another employee as few weeks back. However the office manager has nothing in her sent items folder / her trash folder or her archive for those emails. She does have the original copy received from the outside source. The other employee has checked all folders as well and nothing.

Is there a way to track from the original message received?

Ken

Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Tracking emails within the Post office

Hi Ken,

Do you have message tracking enabled on your GroupWise system? If so just open up the properties of the mail and grab the message ID and use that.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

laurabuckley;2285244 wrote:
Hi Ken,

Do you have message tracking enabled on your GroupWise system? If so just open up the properties of the mail and grab the message ID and use that.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

I have the message tracking setup on the MTA, but it only appears to be logging information to the GWIA. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Sincerely,
Ken

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RLMILLIES wrote:

> Is there a way to track from the original message received?

Not if the two users are on the same Post Office. Message Tracking has to go
through an MTA to see results.

--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner
Do you have Willem Bagchus' GW 2012 Admin Guide?
http://www.facebook.com/caledonia.net
0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

RLMILLIES;2285106 wrote:
She does have the original copy received from the outside source. The other employee has checked all folders as well and nothing.

When you forward or reply to a message, the little ==> and <== decorations appear on the message's icon in the message list. 😉

We typically have our POA and GWIA logs set for verbose ( or whatever the next level above "normal" is ) and you can see message delivery events at the POA level and tie that back. Also enable retention of the agent logs for as long as you might need and set / or remove the size limits so logs don't disappear. This will provide corroboration to message logs in the MTA. So look in any of those places ( /var/log/no*/gr*/agent_name )

-- Bob
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for all of the information, it wasn't till after I had her forward me the emails to see the ID# that I remembered about the ==><==. Then it was too late.

I will however set the log files to the next level above normal as well just for a little piece of mind.

Thanks again to all,
Sincerely,
Ken

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Ken,

I realize that this might be a bit of overkill, but you may want to have a chat to the folk over at GWAVA about their REDLine product. They claim it can do e-mail tracking, but I'm not sure if that's internal to a post office in addition to what the MTA can do.

Just some additional information!

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.