acshearer Contributor.
Contributor.

Trying to Re-create user database

Hi,

I have a user that was having issues with her Groupwise so I ran the gwcheck on her account and the user database had corruption. I am trying to Re-create the user database now. I am using gwcheck and I selected "Re-create User Database" from the action list and ran that on the user. I get the following error in the log file: (Problem 92- Database userkfj.db: MAINT_IN_PROGRESS. Attempting rebuild...
this problem can be fixed only by running REBUILD
) What do I need to do to fix this and get the User database re-created?

Thanks,
Andrew
Labels (2)
0 Likes
10 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Trying to Re-create user database

Hi Andrew,

What happens if you do a "Structural Rebuild" on the account? I think it's the last option in the drop-down list in GWCheck.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
acshearer Contributor.
Contributor.

Hi Laura,

If I do a Structural Rebuild on this user with the User and Message databases check under the databases tab I get the following:

================================================================================
===== BEGIN - JOB LOG ==========================================================
================================================================================

===== TASK LOG - 0 (52e28a84.ckl) ==============================================
Novell GroupWise - GWCHECK - Version 8.0.2
Processed on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 3:45 pm

Processing information for this run:
Path to PO = S:\wyasdpo
Post Office= wyasdpo
User = sqgeller
Action = Structural Rebuild
Files = Message, User
Verbose = No
Upd DiskSpace= No
Output log = gwchk32.log

GWCHECK user options analysis:
- options are consistent.

STRUCTURAL VERIFICATION of system databases
STRUCTURAL VERIFICATION of database ngwguard.db
- Database is structurally consistent
Reading Guardian Database store catalog info

Searching for User/Post Office information for sqgeller
Processing Post Office = wyasdpo, Store Catalog Path = S:\wyasdpo
- User found, Fid=kfj, Diskid=214, PO=wyasdpo, Path=S:\wyasdpo

(Former MDB Name: S:\wyasdpo\ofmsg\msg4.db)

STRUCTURAL VERIFICATION of database S:\wyasdpo\ofmsg\msg214.db
- Attempting to correct structural problem in database
- Beginning rebuild for database msg214.db
Saving old database to backup msg214.dba
Writing corrected records back to database
- Rebuild succeeded
* Recovered 20528 out of 20528 records
STRUCTURAL VERIFICATION of database S:\wyasdpo\ofuser\userkfj.db
- Attempting to correct structural problem in database
Problem 39- Unknown file userkfj.dba - 131072 bytes, 01/24/14 14:42
- File is too recent- will not be deleted
Problem 92- Database userkfj.db: MAINT_IN_PROGRESS. Attempting rebuild...
- Beginning rebuild for database userkfj.db
Writing corrected records back to database
Error 26- DbRebuild error IO_ERR (0x8200)

PROCESSING COMPLETED- total processing time: 0:00:55

Processing completed

***** OVERALL STATS FOR THIS RUN *****
Uncorrectable conditions encountered:
CODE DESCRIPTION COUNT
---- -------------------------------------------------- -----
26 Errors trying to do structural database rebuild.... 1
Correctable conditions encountered:
CODE DESCRIPTION COUNT
---- -------------------------------------------------- -----
39 Unrecognized or invalid files in mail directories.. 1
92 Databases with MAINT_IN_PROGRESS error............. 1

Overall processing time for the entire job: 0:01:26

Accumulated task processing times spent on the job: 0:01:26

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

===== END - JOB LOG ============================================================
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

Firstly check that no other maintenance procedures are currently running such as scheduled maintenance. If that is all clear check for file locking on that db file - could be backup software or, heaven forbid, AV that has not been configured to exclude GroupWise directories.

What OS is your backend running on?

Let us know - thanks.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Something further to try if the above shows up nothing.

Run a GWCheck | Analyze & Fix | Structure - select just the user db and under Misc. options use the RESETMAINTFLAG setting - there probably won't be a message in the resultant gwcheck.log stating that the maintenance flag has been reset, but once this has run, then try the structural rebuild again. Re-creating the user database option is a very destructive process and will lead to the loss of data - I'd avoid doing that at all cost.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

acshearer Contributor.
Contributor.

Hi Laura,

I ran gwcheck with the reset flag and re ran the structural rebuild and everything came back ok now. Thanks for your help in resolving this.

Andrew
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Andrew,

Glad that you came right - thanks for posting back, that way we all learn 🙂

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
stevencodling Absent Member.
Absent Member.

HI Laura,

Trying this now on GW2014, but there is no standalone gwcheck for the linux platform on GW2014...at least not that I can find anywhere.

Do you know if there is one? I have tried this with just selecting the user in gwadmin and running this on that user, bt it does not seem to reset the maintenance flag.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

stevencodling;2339684 wrote:
HI Laura,

Trying this now on GW2014, but there is no standalone gwcheck for the linux platform on GW2014...at least not that I can find anywhere.

Do you know if there is one? I have tried this with just selecting the user in gwadmin and running this on that user, bt it does not seem to reset the maintenance flag.

Hi Stephen,

It's still there but you indeed won't find it as a standalone rpm as it's included in the GroupWise server install package.

https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php/480533-No-Stand-alone-GWCHECK-for-Linux-PO?p=2339746#post2339746

probello;2339746 wrote:
We include the binaries as part of the base server install. After installing the server install, you can find the binaries at the following location:

/opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin/gwcheck
/opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin/gwcheckt

Pam

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
sams Absent Member.
Absent Member.

laurabuckley;2302985 wrote:
Hi,

Something further to try if the above shows up nothing.

Run a GWCheck | Analyze & Fix | Structure - select just the user db and under Misc. options use the RESETMAINTFLAG setting - there probably won't be a message in the resultant gwcheck.log stating that the maintenance flag has been reset, but once this has run, then try the structural rebuild again. Re-creating the user database option is a very destructive process and will lead to the loss of data - I'd avoid doing that at all cost.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Laura, or whoever may see this I know this is a really old thread, but... I am running Gw2012.4 I believe Please help.

I think I massively screwed up. I ran a re-create User Database and seem to have lost all but new incoming messages. There is a user2bb.dba files that was created at the time I did this.
0 Likes
Highlighted
sams Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NEVERMIND!!!!! Thanks Massimo Rosen for your response in the GW 2012 Thread!! you have been a huge for many many years on these forums.

Sam
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.