Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
859 views

Trying to understand message size

I sent a 23Mb file containing several PDFS

This sent a 33Mb file

24186474 + (all other bits 24513 inc logo, text & message)

Mime size 33130371

I'm trying understand why !...
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Trying to understand message size

bhrt60 wrote:

>
> I sent a 23Mb file containing several PDFS
>
> This sent a 33Mb file
>
> 24186474 + (all other bits 24513 inc logo, text & message)
>
> Mime size 33130371
>
> I'm trying understand why !...


That's how MIME works. With the encoding, attachments increase in size
by roughly 33%. This is true regardless of the e-mail platform.

As a side note, this also then impacts setting attachment size limits.
Taking your example, a limit of 30 MB would actually have blocked the
message even though the attachment was only 23 MB because with the MIME
encoding it was actually 33 MB.

--
Your world is on the move. http://www.novell.com/mobility/
We know what your world looks like. http://www.novell.com/yourworld/

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Trying to understand message size

"Joseph Marton" wrote:

> As a side note, this also then impacts setting attachment size limits. Taking
> your example, a limit of 30 MB would actually have blocked the message even
> though the attachment was only 23 MB because with the MIME encoding it was
> actually 33 MB.


And this is the case for inbound mail as well. If you have a 30MB attachment
size for inbound mail, your mail system is reading the "header" size that always
includes the MIME encoding, and will sometimes bounce messages as too large even
if the sender believes the message is under 30MB.

--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner
Are you a GroupWise Power Administrator? Join our site.
http://www.caledonia.net/register

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Trying to understand message size

It also influences the mail received by significantly increasing the storage required.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Trying to understand message size

fgarciacomismar wrote:

>
> It also influences the mail received by significantly increasing the
> storage required.


Only during transmission. After the message is received and the MIME
is decoded the attachment returns to its original size.

--
Your world is on the move. http://www.novell.com/mobility/
We know what your world looks like. http://www.novell.com/yourworld/

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.