Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
Dundaur Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Unwanted GroupWise Address Book Synchronization

We have a department that creates and updates their own address books for their students. There is some detailed information for each contact in their address book, including a photo. The problem is that some of this information is being overwritten during the GroupWise User and eDirectory synchronization. Now, I really do not want to disable eDirectory user synchronization but would like to keep the master GroupWise address book from updating personal address books. I'm afraid I already know the answer, but is this even possible?

Phil Arnold
University of Central Arkansas
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Unwanted GroupWise Address Book Synchronization

Dundaur,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com/

0 Likes
bvandenberg1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Unwanted GroupWise Address Book Synchronization

Phil,

There are two processes that update the GroupWise system address book and individual personal address books respectively; they are eDirectory User Synchronization and Nightly User Upkeep .

eDirectory User Synchronization is a message transfer agent scheduled event that updates the GroupWise system address book with changes made to certain attributes of corresponding eDirectory user objects ( e.g. Given Name, Last Name, Title, Telephone Number, etcetera ) by means other than ConsoleOne with the GroupWise snapins ( e.g. LDIF import ).

Nightly User Upkeep is a maintenance event that among other things updates contacts in personal address books with changes made to system address book entries that have a corresponding GUID ( globally unique identifier ). These personal address book contacts are created by copying system address book. Personal address book contacts that have GUID that does not correspond to a system address book entry are deleted. Personal address book contacts that do not have GUID are ignored.

The solution to your problem is simple; have the department create personal address book contacts manually. To remove the GUID from the existing personal address contacts I would advise that you export the existing contacts, remove the GUID and import again.

Bryan Vandenberg

Dundaur;2216210 wrote:
We have a department that creates and updates their own address books for their students. There is some detailed information for each contact in their address book, including a photo. The problem is that some of this information is being overwritten during the GroupWise User and eDirectory synchronization. Now, I really do not want to disable eDirectory user synchronization but would like to keep the master GroupWise address book from updating personal address books. I'm afraid I already know the answer, but is this even possible?

Phil Arnold
University of Central Arkansas
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.