Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Unwanted folder collecting Own mail as spam

I cannot find anything in the 2014 GW Doco about the "Unwanted" mail folder that has appeared in my folder list.

I think it started when I attempted to block a spam email which purported to come from my own email address (even though my email is filtered externally by LogicNow). The result has been that any emails from my own email address end up in this Unwanted folder instead of my GW Mailbox. Note that my email address has not been included in either the Junk list or Block list, and adding it to the Trust list has not improved the situation.

(I do have emails coming from my clients' systems that say they are coming from my email address, and perhaps I need to change that).

Any suggestions on how to get rid of this Unwanted folder and to allow emails from myself to reach myself? I guess it sounds a bit stupid...

Jerome
Labels (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Unwanted folder collecting Own mail as spam

I don't think GW will let you junk mail an address from your own domain. So how did you try to block the spam? Sounds like a rule was created.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

The Junk Mail handling feature in the GroupWise client does not allow you to block internal addresses. As suggested above I would check the rules that are active on the mailbox.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

laurabuckley;2344735 wrote:
Hi,

The Junk Mail handling feature in the GroupWise client does not allow you to block internal addresses. As suggested above I would check the rules that are active on the mailbox.

Cheers,

Well, I had thought of that. And having checked again under Tools > Rules, there's not a single rule in existence in my client. If this is purely Client related, can I try to remove and re-install the client?

Jerome
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

In article <zexec4.6qrdqn@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Zexec4 wrote:
> (I do have emails coming from my clients' systems that say they are
> coming from my email address, and perhaps I need to change that).

Yes, I would tackle that first as this is very likely the root of your
problem. As far as spam filtering is concerned you've asked it allow
some messages who's from address does not match the servers it is
coming from, but then asking to block messages with those same from
address. So naturally things will be confused. imagine
Guard at the gate: "Halt who goes there"
Msg trying to get in: "I am Jerome, really, trust me"
Guard thinking: 'but Jerome is already inside, what do I do?'
Simple is to just block all such messages, but you picked the much more
complex route.

I would assume that all the email in that Unwanted folder is
exclusively mail from the outside claiming to be you, but none that you
sent yourself internally. Please confirm if this is so.

Andy of
http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

___
“i’ve sworn an oath of solitude til the blight is purged from these lands”
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Apparently the "Unwanted" folder is a feature of the Samsung Galaxy 5.
http://exchangeitup.blogspot.ca/2014/10/exchange-2010-extra-junk-or-unwanted.html
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

m_sabal;2351810 wrote:
Apparently the "Unwanted" folder is a feature of the Samsung Galaxy 5.
http://exchangeitup.blogspot.ca/2014/10/exchange-2010-extra-junk-or-unwanted.html

I recently upgraded my Galaxy S4 to a S6 and I am now seeing this "Unwanted" folder as well.

Thanks for the tip... I'm going to go through my device spam settings.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I went through mine and I had no entries in the spam area. But I still get the unwanted folder return after I remove it from GW.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I removed the inwanted folder a few times and checked my settings on my samsung, over the weekend. No luck. It keeps coming back. I even removed my account from mobility and re-added it. Looks like the phone is deff pushing it.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.