Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Upgrade GW8 to 2012 and migration

Moving system from NetWare to SuSE11sp3. Current system is GW8.0.2 and want to just upgrade, at this point, to 2012sp3. Would the steps be for accomplising this task be:

move data over from NetWare to SuSE(NSS to EXT3) dbcopy using lowercase option moving files
Once moved, copy dc files into respective locations in domain and post office directories
Go into consoleone and change path, platform type from NetWare to Linux, verify http and log settings, ip address is being moved as well
Start agents up in show mode to verify upgrade from 8 to 2012
stop agents in show mode, configure agents and start normally

I have done this before moving GW from NetWare to Linux, but it has always been keeping version the same, so the step on changing platform version want to make sure correct in that spot.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Upgrade GW8 to 2012 and migration

I did this (8.0.3 to 12.0.3, NW6.5SP8 to SLES11SP£/OES11SP2) but continued using NSS on OES Linux a few months back.
If you've done moves from Netware to Linux before and you're comfortable with that process then you should be fine. The actual 'upgrade' from GW8 to GW2012 is trivial to accomplish really, just install the latest rpm's using the command line or installer and as usual update MTA -> POA -> GWIA. The only thing out of the ordinary is the rewrite of Webaccess, you basically build a new one, nothing is carried over from the old configuration.

I can't recommend highly enough Danita's guides for this BTW, have re-read this one a number of times when something has gotten 'stuck'. It's normally the MTA links when the IP address changes during a migration that stop the upgrade comms being passed round, some handy tips in there to fix the issue.

Mark.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yeah, I have done many, and have those great manuals as well. I have never done it though moving and upgrading it at the same time. Going from NetWare/NSS to SuSE/EXT3 is no issue. I have the new server built and the 2012 rpm agents loaded. C1 installed with 2012 snapins. The main thing I wanted to verify was once the data is moved, I will copy in the new dc files to respective places. Before I start the agents on new box for the upgrade, I need to go into C1 and modify a few settings. I guess it doesn't matter or hurt anything at that point to make those changes like modifying path, and changing platform from NetWare to Linux, then going back and starting the agents manually to do the actual conversion.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

jlewter;2336056 wrote:
Moving system from NetWare to SuSE11sp3. Current system is GW8.0.2 and want to just upgrade, at this point, to 2012sp3. Would the steps be for accomplising this task be:

move data over from NetWare to SuSE(NSS to EXT3) dbcopy using lowercase option moving files
Once moved, copy dc files into respective locations in domain and post office directories
Go into consoleone and change path, platform type from NetWare to Linux, verify http and log settings, ip address is being moved as well
Start agents up in show mode to verify upgrade from 8 to 2012
stop agents in show mode, configure agents and start normally

I have done this before moving GW from NetWare to Linux, but it has always been keeping version the same, so the step on changing platform version want to make sure correct in that spot.

It happened the same to me but doing the migration from windows to Linux. Links between mta and post office were set with unc paths or something calld like that.

What I had to do, despite what was set in domain database, is to force in agents configuration mtp ports and ips. Please read carefully next poa switches:
mtpinport, mtpinipaddr, mtpoutport and mtpoutipaddr. If you configure some option in config file it has priority over database. By the way; I have never been able to rid of those switches. I have to keep them because otherwise post office and mta wouldn't connect.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

More things, I forgot. You have to start first mta, and like you said, in gui mode and when you see in that agent (mta) that has the 12 in version you can start the poa in gui mode with the switches I told you. Notice that when you start agents in that mode you can override console one's settings.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I was mainly thinking once the copy is done, I could login to C1 and change platform and path to new version and path. Then exit and start agents in show mode to verify conversion to 12. I have done this before, just not from NetWare and it really just the platform version that the main thing I want to change from NetWare to Linux.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am not an expert but the big deal is to start agents in gui mode and make them a recovery or something similar with appropriate dc files copied in their homes directories and let them to pass the messages through mtp, because in order the post office is updated the mta must be updated first and after that it sends a update command to the poa. Once that completed you can change that in console one. But I am not an expert and my memory is not good.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yeah, I am familiar with the dc file conversion. I usually do that as well, but was wondering if it would hurt to jump on there first and modify the C1 settings, path and platform, and then start the agents starting with mta first to let the conversion go. I need to go back and check the manuals again.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I think I wouldn't be bad. But take inti account what really upgrade is the recovery in gui mode. I found couple years back in cool solutions a migration explained step by step. I wasn't exactly the same but I could work as an example. Wait, I have just found a recipe in the server, what I did was:

1)File copy with migration switch (back up first just in case)
2)Install software, groupwise, console one, etc... Install admin snap in.
3)Update groupwise schema (tree -> tools -> gw utils -> check edir schema). I wrote to do this twice (I don't know why)
4)Create a software distribution point in console one (optional)
5)Configure new IPs in agents and platform, directories, etc...
6)Create a queue directory for gwia. (I don't know if this is longer necessary)
7)Update domain as next, copy dc files, domain/dc's to yourdomain_directory/dc's copy po/nwguard.dc to yourdomain_directory/wpoffice. Start domain in gui mode and do a recovery.
8)Update office. copy po/dc's -> your_office_directory/ Start office in gui mode and do a recovery. (wrote down in config file the switches I told you)
9) stop mail server (which is working)
9)Change ip's in: nic, edirectory in nds.conf (n4u.server.interfaces, http.server.interfaces, https.server.interfaces, n4u.nds.preferred-server)
ndsrepair -N -> repair network address, change ip's in agents (in text files whether necessary)
10)Change link type to tcpip in DOMAIN-> OFFICE
11)webaccess configuration is not longer necessary in console one. Now is configured like a web app (tomcat+apache+webaccess.cfg file)

That is more or less what I did. Take that as an start.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.