Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Upgrading Post office to 2014

Moving an existing NetWare 8 post office to new server and then upgrade to 2014. There will be change of ip address. Is best method to change the ip on the poa object before taking the po down for final time for that address to sync out, and then moving it over to new server. Just want to see what others have done in moving post offices to new server and changing ip at the same time. I have always heard to changed it before you take it down at source location, and then move it. Thoughts?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Upgrading Post office to 2014

Hi,

The exisiting NetWare server, will it be shutdown after your GroupWise move or does it have other services hosted on it? If it is being shutdown after moving GroupWise off it, then you can just bind the "old" ip address to the new server as a secondary IP address and no reconfiguration is required. You will just need to set your GroupWise to "Bind Exclusive" though.

I keep all of my GroupWise systems on secondary IP address and as I need to migrate to newer hardware etc the IP address just moves with it.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

No, the IP address the poa is on now is a different subnet and can't be used on the new vm. So I am assigning a new ip address to the poa. I am actually moving 3 poas and two of them are just like you said. The old box will be shutdown and the ip will be moved to new box and assigned as a secondary addresss. This third one though will be a new address all together. So what I wanted to see is should I change the ip address on the poa while still up on the netware server and then shut it down so when I bring it back online on the new server it will already recognize the address. I know if I change it on the netware box it is going to argue and all, but it will at least write that address to itself.Or is there a better way of changing the address for the poa?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Ok, I now understand your situation a little better.

Firstly, ensure that none of your links in the Link Configuration tool are configured for UNC. They absolutely have to be TCP/IP before the move - headaches if this is not double-checked prior to migration.

With regards to changing the IP address, I do it after the move, but that is really just a personal preference of mine. Another thing to double-check is if you have statically coded the IP address of any links in the startup files of the agents. As a shortcut to an issue once I statically put an IP address into a POA startup file and forgot about it during a migration for a customer who was not using secondary IP's. Mail stopped flowing and I was left scratching my head for a few minutes.

I'll see if I can get further information for you and will post back if I find anything.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks. I know with 2014, when you install the admin service on machine and then go to configure part you have to browse out to the path of the post office on the new server. It also asks for the ip addres so I believe you can change it there as well. Haven't tried it that way, but I guess it would work. Most of what I have done have had the ip stay the same. I have heard though of people changing the ip before they take it down finally. It argues about it but supposedly it will write it to the db so that when moved over it already knows it new address. Like I said, I haven't tried it before.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I also just checked the link configuration for the post offices back to the domain and their all ip, no unc. Thanks for bringing that one up, I forgot about that one.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

I was just about to reply when your post came through 🙂

I've been giving it some thought and realized that I am wrong - I was thinking about 2012. With an upgrade to GroupWise 2014 it is recommended to change the IP address of your domain in particular before the upgrade.

Perhaps I make a suggestion here, head on over to the GroupWise goddess (Danita Zanre) and grab yourself a copy of her book on moving servers and upgrading to 2014. The entire process is mapped out in very fine detail and makes this process incredibly easy. http://postie.caledonia.net/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=206

Please do let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes I have her book. If I am reading it right, I think she is stating that you change it when you configure the agent. So when you are on the new box, you browse out to po directory and then it asks for IP so if changing it, do it then. But I remember in the past, and it might have been in one of her books, where she said to change it before taking it down on old box.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

It's the MTA/Domain IP that must be changed before the upgrade/move. Now I'm not sure about the POA address - let me do some digging/thinking!

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yeah, the primary domain ip will carry over to new server that will hold it now. Old box will be powered off. Also the two other post offices, same scenario. This one last po though will have a different one. Any thing you can dig up would be appreciated.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

If you have the Danita's combined move/upgrade book, take a look on pages 183-184. You can update the POA ip address during the upgrade process in the graphical upgrade console.

I'm not going to copy and paste Danita's guide into this post as that's a violation of copyright!

Please let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have it so no please don't post it here. Yes, that was the toption I saw in her book as well. I guess that is going to be the best option. I just recall seeing in the past where people would manually change the ip on the poa before shutting it down to be moved. That was it was already knowing that address. I will go with the option from those pages, looking at it right now. Thanks. Will post back on Monday to let you know how it goes.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.