Highlighted
Account_Closed
Not applicable

Upgrading SLES with Groupwise 2014 currently installed on it

We have a Groupwise 2014 installed on SLES 11 sp1 GM and it was working fine until yesterday. When the sles starts booting it get´s stuck on the SUSE Logo Page the bar is three quarters of the way and does not progress after that.. I connect through putty and start the groupwise services. I have had issues with the Gnome on certain hp screens, so want I want to do is upgrade the SLES to see if it resolves this issues, I know you have to upgrade first to SLES 11 sp2 and then to sp3, I imagine i have to stop all the groupwise services and gwava services on the server before upgrading.. Is there anything else I have to look out for?

thxs..
Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor.

Re: Upgrading SLES with Groupwise 2014 currently installed o

crobison;2348473 wrote:
I have had issues with the Gnome on certain hp screens, so want I want to do is upgrade the SLES to see if it resolves this issues, I know you have to upgrade first to SLES 11 sp2 and then to sp3, I imagine i have to stop all the groupwise services and gwava services on the server before upgrading.. Is there anything else I have to look out for?

First off, ditch the GUI, you can always run it when you actually need it ( startx )

SSH int the server...
Yast --> System --> Services Manager --> Default Run Level / System Target --> Change to Run Level 3

Save the new default run level setting. Exit Yast. At the # prompt type init 3

OK. Now you have no stupid GUI. Hooray! Now you will want to look at /var/log/boot.log and see which service is clogging up the works. You can post it here. Mabey we will see something.

Changing the video controller to standard VESA will often eliminate the problem. Also it may be that your GUI is trying to drive the server console monitor outside its supported refresh or resolution. Try connecting a better / newer / different monitor to see if that is the case. If it is, adjust the video properties to use the proper / supported settings.

But as a practical matter you do nto need the GUI except very infrequently. Less junk running on your server == happier server.

-- Bob
0 Likes
Highlighted
Account_Closed
Not applicable

Bob-O-Rama;2348501 wrote:
First off, ditch the GUI, you can always run it when you actually need it ( startx )

SSH int the server...
Yast --> System --> Services Manager --> Default Run Level / System Target --> Change to Run Level 3

Save the new default run level setting. Exit Yast. At the # prompt type init 3

OK. Now you have no stupid GUI. Hooray! Now you will want to look at /var/log/boot.log and see which service is clogging up the works. You can post it here. Mabey we will see something.

Changing the video controller to standard VESA will often eliminate the problem. Also it may be that your GUI is trying to drive the server console monitor outside its supported refresh or resolution. Try connecting a better / newer / different monitor to see if that is the case. If it is, adjust the video properties to use the proper / supported settings.

But as a practical matter you do nto need the GUI except very infrequently. Less junk running on your server == happier server.

-- Bob

Thxs Bob..
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

crobison;2348473 wrote:
We have a Groupwise 2014 installed on SLES 11 sp1 GM and it was working fine until yesterday. When the sles starts booting it get´s stuck on the SUSE Logo Page the bar is three quarters of the way and does not progress after that..

Next to Bob's reply, you know that you can press ESC while the system is booting so that will show details of what services are starting and possible issues that might be occurring?

Also important to know: Is this a pure SLES server , or has OES11 also been added in?

As far as upgrading goes, you don't necessarily have to stop the GroupWise services to upgrade.

I'd recommend to do an offline update/upgrade (booting from the SLES media and running the install>update routine). The only services that will be running then, are those that are started from the installer process.
Before bringing down the system in order to update/upgrade it, you could run "chkconfig groupwise off" so the GroupWise services don't try to start while doing post upgrade tasks.
Then when the upgrade has been completed you can turn the autostart back on with "chkconfig groupwise on".

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.