Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Upgrading to GW 2012 - do yourselves a favor.....

Hi

If you are wanting to upgrade your GroupWise system to 2012 do yourselves a favor and grab the latest copy of Danita Zanre's book on how to do the upgrade. It's available at Caledonia dot net.

I've done upgrades and migrations in the past few weeks and they went very smoothly and without hiccups thanks to Danita's books.

Just my humble opinion....

Buckley
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Upgrading to GW 2012 - do yourselves a favor.....

Thanks Laura for the info!

Leroy Joseph
Visual Click Software
(eDirectory Management and Reporting)
eDirectory Management | DSRAZOR for eDirectory
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I was going to buy that, but do you know if it covers going from GW7 on linux to GW2012 on linux?

I was going to retire the GW7 server after the migration, so i was wondering on the best way to do that.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Danita would be the best person to comment on this.

I used her guides to upgrade from GW7 to GW8 on NetWare, migrate from NetWare to Linux and then upgrade to GW2012 on Linux.

Take a look at all her guides available on the Caledonia dot net website.
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, I have upgraded from netware, groupwise 7 directly on another server oesII, Sles11 sp1, I can just say buy the book, it save you a lot of time, and as usual it's well done. (btw Thanks Danita)
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

One caveat if you're moving to Windows: Make sure your dbcopy routine is actually doing what you think it is. Errors are not written to the console, but are saved in a log file MMDDgwbk.00x in the destination mail store. Also (at least on Windows 2008) make sure you're logged in as the "owner" of the destination directory, or Windows UAC is turned off. (Membership in the Windows group "Administrators" is not good enough.) I wasn't aware of the issues with UAC and file ownership, and lost a day's worth of mail when I did the final dbcopy as an Administrator equivalent. But I agree with Laura, Danita's guides have been invaluable.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Thank you very much for the information. Much appreciated.
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.