Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

User getting disabled?

One of our user is experiencing getting disabled login in GroupWise. He is using a thunderbird client and is using LDAP authentication. When I checked the LDAP DN is correct and upon logging in we could log in after unchecking the disabled login checkbox in GoupWise console, But after some time the user is being disabled again.

If someone could share a solution or just the cause that would help alot.

Thank you.

Regards,

Lyle

Labels (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: User getting disabled?

@4Lyle 

Hi Lyle,

My first thought is that there's a hack attempt going on against this account causing it to be intruder locked.  Ensure the POA logging is set to Verbose.  Check the log files for incorrect password errors against the account name.

Cheers,

Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Is he an eDirectory user, if so can you check within iManager which ip is locking him to see if it's groupwise server or another one.

I've seen similar before with ldap when you usually have to put in a separate password for imap and smtp and one of them is wrong. this leads to lockouts, or they've setup the mac default calendar and contacts app, and the password has been changed, and they've not been updated, so when they connect they are causing the lockouts.  Most of the time i find it's something silly internally that's got an old password.

Steph

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

As Laura has mentioned I can imagine that a hack will be tried. If I know a mail address then I ask the IMAP server as often as possible to login with some passwords. I have seen this at several universities ..

Just use an email-address and lock accounts!

Diethmar

Diethmar Rimser
If you like my idea or solution, please show it and click i.e. on "Like"!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

He's an LDAP user

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Maybe I misunderstood you but that does not matter ...

Universities have LDAP too. If I try to access i.e. a mailbox via IMAP just using a valid email address over and over with wrong passwords. This account will be locked out in my directory behind LDAP and of course in GroupWise too.

So my question is if the user is locked in GroupWise only or in LDAP too.

Diethmar Rimser
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

I see.

In our case it is only locked in the GroupWise but not locked in our LDAP.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hmm, do you synchronize users from LDAP to GroupWise? If yes. then there is a setting that users who cannot be synchronized will be disabled. Did you check this?

Diethmar Rimser
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

I see, I checked the GWIA logs and im getting the error D715 on the user which means too many logged in attempts.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.