bkeadle Absent Member.
Absent Member.

User with System visibility not showing in global address bk

I have a user in and External GW PO that has system visibility, and yet, I do not see this user in the Global Address book. Other users in this External GW PO do appear. What gives?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: User with System visibility not showing in global addres

Hi,

Perhaps a "rebuild indexes" will fix this for you. This is a GWCheck option, in ConsoleOne, that you can run at a domain or post office level. The indexes control the addressbooks.

Please let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
bkeadle Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for your reply!

As it turns out, I was using jrb tool gwusers to create these accounts (intending to do users en masse). If I manually create the user with C1, it works correctly, but using gwusers.exe, though the object shows up and appears to be all good, I'm unable to get it into the Global Address book.

But, as you say, perhaps if I use the tool, then do a gwcheck, maybe that would fix whatever is missing? I'll try that and report back.
0 Likes
bkeadle Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, that worked! Running Rebuild indexes got the user into the Address Book. Yay! Thank you!
0 Likes
johnbaird Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It appears than when C1 creates the user, it does whatever is necessary for the new user to become visible in the Global Address book. However, creation via the Admin object API, does not do the same, and the API has no facility to kick off a process that will update the Global Address book.

John

bkeadle;2412691 wrote:
Thanks for your reply!

As it turns out, I was using jrb tool gwusers to create these accounts (intending to do users en masse). If I manually create the user with C1, it works correctly, but using gwusers.exe, though the object shows up and appears to be all good, I'm unable to get it into the Global Address book.

But, as you say, perhaps if I use the tool, then do a gwcheck, maybe that would fix whatever is missing? I'll try that and report back.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi John,

I have personally never had to use "other" tools to create users, probably because I've never had to do bulk operations or anything of the like. I guess that the only workaround would be to create all your users and then, when finished with the creation process, manually run the "rebuild indexes" option manually. It's a bit unfortunate that this is a manual task, but it quick and easy to do!

Just glad that we were able to correct the issue that you were seeing quickly and easily. Thank you for taking the time to report back 🙂

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
bkeadle Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Laura,
I know you're quite the GroupWise/Novell guru. I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again - if you're not using JRB utilities (for eDirectory or Active Directory) to do *ANY* sort of mass updates, you're working too hard! So I just wanted to give a shout-out to one of my most prized toolsets. The tools are excellent, and John is the most responsive support I've ever experienced in my 25 years in the industry. I can't recommend highly enough his excellent utilities.
(this is totally unsolicited - I'm just a VERY satisfied customer)

That said, John quickly provided an update to a tool that enabled me to remove the visibility of all my users in one PO, and create External Entities in my non-GroupWise domain for all the users in that PO, effectively enabling the redirection of internal emails to our new cloud-based email. I only need to manually run a rebuild indexes once. Very slick!
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi

I have very often, in these forums and elsewhere, advocated and promoted the use of JRB Utilities as I do believe them to be an asset to any administrator's toolkit. I have absolutely no doubt about their worth and value 🙂 I envy any administrator that has them at their disposal.

Having said that, I live in Africa! We have a severely depreciated currency and management just don't see the value in spending, quite literally, thousands for things that we can "simply do" ourselves.

I am so glad that you have this tool set and can speak so admirably for them. Even better that they were updated so timeously for you to assist you in resolving your challenges.

Anyways... good luck further. I must say that I am sad for the reason that you have posted here, that being your migration to cloud based e-mail in place of GroupWise. Go well dear friend 🙂

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
bkeadle Absent Member.
Absent Member.

True dat!

FYI: Yeah, moving from GroupWise was not my decision. 😕
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.