Highlighted
Visitor.

Using ConsoleOne in linux -no groupwise snapins?

This boggles my mind.
In the gw8.0.3HP3_linux_en.tar.gz install achive, which is a full install of GroupWise for linux, there is a consoleone directory, also meant for install on linux.

Yet- among the snapins to install, there are none here for GroupWise, (yet recall this came bundled with GroupWise!) making it almost totally useless since ConsoleOne is only to be used for GroupWise.
I copied my GW snapins over from a windows version of Console One, but that breaks C1: I receive errors that the snapins aren't registered.

It starts here and does this for every groupwise snapin:

>>> Creating manifest object for /usr/ConsoleOne/snapins/groupwise/waproviders.jar
Collection version = Implementation-Version(8.0.3)
Shell version = Specification-Version(1.3.6)
SnapinClassLoader could not load bytes for class com.novell.webaccess.snapins.providers.WAProviders Throwing ClassNotFoundException.
SnapinClassLoader could not load bytes for resource com/novell/webaccess/snapins/providers/WAProviders Returning null.
Manifest: Missing resource exception. e=java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name com.novell.webaccess.snapins.providers.WAProviders, locale en_US
Processing manifest for registrars in /usr/ConsoleOne/snapins/groupwise/waproviders.jar
Loading registrar -> com/novell/webaccess/snapins/providers/RegistrarProvider.class
SnapinClassLoader could not load bytes for class com.novell.gw.util.Resource Throwing ClassNotFoundException.
NoClassDefFoundError while trying to instantiate registrar com/novell/webaccess/snapins/providers/RegistrarProvider.class - java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/novell/gw/util/Resource
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/novell/gw/util/Resource
at com.novell.webaccess.snapins.providers.ResourceProviders.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
at com.novell.webaccess.snapins.providers.RegistrarProvider.<init>(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:274)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:308)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:261)
at com.novell.application.console.shell.DefaultSnapinLister.processManifest(DefaultSnapinLister.java)
at com.novell.application.console.shell.DefaultSnapinLister.loadSCI(DefaultSnapinLister.java)
at com.novell.application.console.shell.DefaultSnapinLister.loadSCIs(DefaultSnapinLister.java)
at com.novell.application.console.shell.DefaultSnapinLister.getSnapinCollections(DefaultSnapinLister.java)
at com.novell.application.console.shell.Registry.registerSnapins(Registry.java)
at com.novell.application.console.shell.ConsoleShell.start(ConsoleShell.java)
at com.novell.application.console.shell.Console.main(Console.java)
Snapin Collection ignored... no registration items found.

Anyone get the snapins to work?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
15 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Using ConsoleOne in linux -no groupwise snapins?

On 12.06.2013 21:46, lpphiggp wrote:
>
> This boggles my mind.
> In the gw8.0.3HP3_linux_en.tar.gz install achive, which is a full
> install of GroupWise for linux, there is a consoleone directory, also
> meant for install on linux.
>
> Yet- among the snapins to install, there are none here for GroupWise,
> (yet recall this came bundled with GroupWise!) making it almost totally
> useless since ConsoleOne is only to be used for GroupWise.

Yeah, I can see how that's confusing.

The ConsoleOne install is really just that. ConsoleOne, but nothing else.

To get the GW snapins into it, you actually have to use the groupwise
installer and let it install the management pieces.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

Just run the ./install script at the root of the main directory? But.. there are no rpms anywhere that I see for GroupWise in this package..?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 13.06.2013 19:16, lpphiggp wrote:
>
> Just run the ./install script at the root of the main directory?

Correct.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
No emails please!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

No go. I get "cannot execute command root/gw8.03HP3-xxxx_full_linux_en/gwinsta/install.sh.0

This is for my workstation which is running OpenSuse 12.1, so maybe this isn't designed to run on anything other than SLES or SLED?

I tried running that script directly and got an error that libstdc++.so.5 was missing.
I do have other versions though.. libstdc++.so and libstdc++.so.6

Wonder if I should just try creating a softlink for libstdc++.so.5 and point it to libstdc++.so.6..?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 14.06.2013 16:36, lpphiggp wrote:
>
> This is for my workstation which is running OpenSuse 12.1, so maybe
> this isn't designed to run on anything other than SLES or SLED?

Correct. And you really shouldn't try this. COnsoleOne writes directly
to the groupwise databases. YOu *really* don't want to risk the health
of your GW system by runnign that in an unsupported way.

Install it on your server and run it remote.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
No emails please!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

Excellent point.
Never thought about this because we've never installed C1 on a server, just our Windows workstations.

One last question, if you know off the top of your head: is it a requirement that the server hold a replica?
Without going into detail about our environment, I'd rather do this on a less important server.. just in case.

Thanks!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi

Just a tip running ConsoleOne remotely from your server - you could use an XWindows redirect client such as XMing on your local PC and then use putty to SSH into your server, launch ConsoleOne and the window will open on your pc and you can work remotely. No need to be directly in front of the server. That way you can administer GroupWise directly on the server that's it's installed on, and it's accesses the domain db's locally.

With regards to a replica on a server, I'm not aware of any such requirement. You do, however, have to consider replica placement for LDAP authentication. Although it does not have to be local to the GroupWise server, you don't want authentication happening over slow links and causing time-outs. Remember too that you can setup multiple LDAP sources for GroupWise to use.

Hope that helps 🙂

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

Thanks Laura.. I have linux workstations too, so I have options there, with SSH and forwarding X11. But those are good suggestions, and I actually use puTTY and Xming too, they work fantastic.

Although, it appears I'll have to try to install on another server than the one I first chose: an OES11sp1 server, but in trying to install the GW admin products I got a load of python errors.
This is a brand new server too. Not too promising.

# ./install
*** glibc detected *** ./python/bin/python2.3: double free or corruption (fasttop): 0x083a1118 ***
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib/libc.so.6(+0x6d6f4)[0xf74816f4]
/lib/libc.so.6(+0x6f003)[0xf7483003]
/lib/libc.so.6(cfree+0x6d)[0xf748613d]
./python/lib/libtcl8.4.so(TclpFree+0x1f)[0xf7081e6f]
/media/nss/MAIL/gw8.0.3HP3-108711_full_linux_en/gwinst/install.sh: line 83: 24621 Aborted ./python/bin/python2.3 install.py $2 $3 $4 $5 >&/dev/null

Maybe SLES11/OES11 doesn't like GW8.03HP3..?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

Update:
I tried again, this time no errors. That was weird. So, disregard the above.
I did the Admin install, went okay, then started on configuration, not sure that was necessary.. I would up canceling because
A) this is a migration target, GW isn't fully installed yet
B) I didn't like the sound of it updating the GW system.. I didn't know if that would try to extend the schema, or mess with the domain.. so I canceled.

However, I have GW snapins enabled now in ConsoleOne .. though the GroupWise view is still blank, I'm going to assume it wants me to ncpmount the domain?
(it asked for the /mnt location on startup)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

You do need to accept the /mnt location on first startup - it won't ask you again. You then need to click on the GroupWise system, then Tools, GroupWise Utilities, then Select Domain and browse to the WPDomain.db file.

Typically Python errors either clear themselves up, but best you check that the install path meets 8.3 naming standards (believe it or not!).

I'm successfully running an 8.02 system on OES11SP1 - just be aware of the UID.RUN issue - there's a TID, which I don't have on hand right now!

Good luck and let us know if you need any further assistance.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

Note that when you mount the Domain folders you should disable opportunistic locking to avoid database corruption. So if you expose the databases via SAMBA, that on the SAMBA server side you disable OpLocks and on the client side when you mount the share you do that as well. This is the majority of the reason for corruption of the databases. Specifically on the smb.conf for the share, you need:

oplocks = False
level2oplocks = False

If you don't have control over the server config, you can address on the client side by using the corresponding CIFS mount options / fstab options or use the

echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/OplockEnabled

or whatever is appropriate to disable it prior to using the share.

I have had no issues using NCO on openSuSE this way. Preventing op locks on the samba server side is really the magic to keep the databases from being corrupted.

-- Bob
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.