Commodore
Commodore

WebAccess 2014 R2

Jump to solution

I recently moved my Groupwise 2014 system to new hardware for more hard drive space. I used SLES 12 SP4 for the new hardware in anticipation of upgrading Groupwise to the 2018 version sometime in the first part of the new year.

The move was successful except for WebAccess, which is not compatible with SLES 12 SP4.. I still have the old server available with WebAccess installed.

Would it be possible to run Webaccess on it as stand alone and connect to the new SLES 12 server or will I still have the same issue of incompatibility? 

What changes will I need to make to settings to get this working, if possible?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

WebAccess does NOT have to run on the server hosting the POA. The easiest way will be to re-run the "Configure" dialog on the old box and point to the current addresses for POA and DVA.

If you like it: like it.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Knowledge Partner

WebAccess does NOT have to run on the server hosting the POA. The easiest way will be to re-run the "Configure" dialog on the old box and point to the current addresses for POA and DVA.

View solution in original post

Knowledge Partner

And running WebAccess on a separate server is the best way to be ready for upgrading to GW 18.  GroupWise 18.3 is out, but 18.2.1 is the last WebAccess version.  You can continue to run WebAccess until you feel GW Web is ready for our organization, but you need to run it on its own server.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements in the Idea Exchange forums!
Don't forget to Like helpful posts and mark Solutions!
Commodore
Commodore

Ok will go through that and get it set up.

Would it be a good idea to remove the poa and other agents from the old server and just have Webaccess installed? Or will they be ok as they are as long as they remain shutdown?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Thanks Ken.

This is good to know. Haven't done much reading on 2018 yet and did not realize they were coming out with something new to replace WebAccess.

Scott

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

@sschaffer wrote:

Ok will go through that and get it set up.

Would it be a good idea to remove the poa and other agents from the old server and just have Webaccess installed? Or will they be ok as they are as long as they remain shutdown?

Thanks,

Scott

Sounds like you don't have a virtual environment.  If you did, my recommendation would be to just spin up a small VM and install WebAccess on it.  If you are trying to re-use existing hardware, there should not be a problem as long as they remain shutdown.  But there is no harm in uninstalling and if the post offices and domains have been successfully migrated, you might want to remove them from the old server.

Check into GroupWise Web.  It doesn't quite have feature parity with WebAccess yet, but it is getting close and it is much nicer.  Responsive layout regardless of the device you use to access it.  Development on WebAccess has stopped and going forward it is just GW Web.  It is quite easy to spin up.  There are some docs and videos on it.  You just need to spin up a SLES box with Docker.  I've never used Docker before, but it was very easy to setup.  Microfocus has provided some good info about doing that.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements in the Idea Exchange forums!
Don't forget to Like helpful posts and mark Solutions!
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

... and here's the link to the documentation for GroupWise Web:

https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise18/gw18_guide_install/data/install_web.html

Cheers,

Laura

Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore
Thank you!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Technically it's sufficient to keep the agents down. The safest way to ensure this would be to uninstall them.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.