Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

WebAccess Slow Sometimes

Running GroupWise 18.2.1 on SLES 12 SP5.  Sometimes, WebAccess can run pretty sluggish. Logging in is quick, but loading messages, changing folders and opening emails seems to hang at random times.  

I came across this document: 

https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7017423

Are any of these tweaks applicable to my setup?  Would they help?

Thanks

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: WebAccess Slow Sometimes

@bkesting 

How many users are using WebAccess? Maybe check it with /gw/webacc/admin if you have enabled this admin interface in webacc.cfg!

How large is your environment? And how many SOAP threads are configured at your POA(s)?

However I use these settings above for one university I am dealing with. I do not have to adjust it for other customers. But I do not have reliable feedback (now) if it helped.

Diethmar Rimser
If you like my idea or solution, please show it and click i.e. on "Like"!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

I'm a pretty small setup....I have about 75 users total.

SOAP threads are set to 40.

I do not have the admin console setup, I will try that.  In limited testing, it does seem though that WebAccess performance is better with these settings.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

In your case I would not change Apache or Tomcat settings. 75 users will not cause a bottleneck I think.

So are there any other applications active next to WebAcess? Or do you run "communication" server which has loaded all GroupWise modules for your environment (POA, MTA, GWIA, WebAcess, ...)? 

Diethmar Rimser
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

All of my GroupWise services run on this system (outside of GMS). 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Well, that's ok.

How much memory? Any other services? When do you feel the bottlenecks or performance issues? Did you check if there are any heavy activities in the background - gwchecks (content), indexing, ...? Do you use IMAP clients?

Diethmar Rimser
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

16 GB memory, no IMAP clients.  I'd say it seems it is a little more prevalent in the evenings, but I've seen issues at various points in random days. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Your description seems to be fine.

So there is no scheduled index job at this (these) times? And there are no scheduled gwchecks at POA? No backups, Reloads or Retain jobs ...

Do you see any errors in your POA logs?

If you see/feel some bad performance, please open your POA http screen and check if one of the threads hits a high value. 

Diethmar Rimser
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

All of my indexing and GWCheck jobs happen after midnight (when there really isn't anyone using the system). I dbcopy my domains and postoffices during the day and then backup those copies to tape....so no Reload or Retain jobs in play.

I'll try to check POA log if I experience the issue again.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.