Karl_Kunze Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What about using dbcopy as a cron-job evey hour for backup

Hi,

after a real dr-case some months ago (one weekend of work and bad headache with groupwise) I now have played around with dbcopy and restore-areas and found it easy to apply. I used dbcopy /b gwx:\grpwise\po gwx:\grpwise\ra\po. The initial backup of the po put some load on the server and took some time, but all runs afterwards took less than 5 minutes. So I thought about doing this as a cron-job every hour during the day and give all users access to the restore-area, to help themselve.

So far I found some advice here in the forums about deleting the static data from time to time, but I did not get the point why. As far as I understand the principle, dbcopy is doing this incrementally, so why should I clean out the complete restore-area. Is there something getting stale?

Sincerely

Karl
Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Reply
dzanre1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What about using dbcopy as a cron-job evey hour for back

DBCOPY does not delete items that are no longer in the source PO. So, over time, the offiles directories can become very large due to messages that still remain in the copy directory that have been long deleted from the source PO.

You could occasionally do an rsync between the two that removes items in OFFILES that are no longer in the DBCOPY directory. This would avoid having to recopy all of the offiles each time you need to "clean up".
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.