gathagan
New Member.

What are the steps for moving GW server to new hardware?

I have been asked, for a variety of reasons, to move our GroupWise 18.1.1 post office server from a VM to a physical server.
The VM is running OES2018SP1.

The LUN utilized by that domain and PO resides on a SAN array.
The HBA connecting the VM to that LUN is in pass-through mode; meaning that vSphere has no role in its management.
As such, I can simply move that HBA currently being used by the VM to the desired physical server and access will be the same.

That leaves me with moving the server's identity from the VM to the physical server.

The VM only runs the various OES bits tied to NSS support and the GroupWise software.

I've never performed an Transfer ID installation, so I'm unclear on the impact of moving the ID on the GroupWise components.

The various steps I see as needed are:
Perform the initial transfer ID installation on the new server.
Copy the necessary GW configuration files from the VM to a temporary location on the new server.
Disable the GroupWise services on the current VM.
Perform the transfer ID on the physical server.
Attach the HBA to the new server so that it 'sees' the NSS volume.
Install the GroupWise software, but skip configuration.
Copy the saved GW configuration files from the temporary location to their proper location on the new server.

Is my logic correct?
Are there any missing steps?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
AutomaticReply Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What are the steps for moving GW server to new hardware?

gathagan,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

These forums are peer-to-peer, best effort, volunteer run and that if your issue
is urgent or not getting a response, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit https://www.microfocus.com/support-and-services and search the knowledgebase and/or check
all the other self support options and support programs available.
- Open a service request: https://www.microfocus.com/support
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.microfocus.com)
- You might consider hiring a local partner to assist you.
https://www.partnernetprogram.com/partnerfinder/find.html

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.microfocus.com/faq.php

Sometimes this automatic posting will alert someone that can respond.

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting or otherwise posted in error, please
ignore and accept our apologies and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand
to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Micro Focus Forums Team
http://forums.microfocus.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: What are the steps for moving GW server to new hardware?

gathagan;2500534 wrote:
I have been asked, for a variety of reasons, to move our GroupWise 18.1.1 post office server from a VM to a physical server.
The VM is running OES2018SP1.

The LUN utilized by that domain and PO resides on a SAN array.
The HBA connecting the VM to that LUN is in pass-through mode; meaning that vSphere has no role in its management.
As such, I can simply move that HBA currently being used by the VM to the desired physical server and access will be the same.
That configuration should greatly simplify your migration.

That leaves me with moving the server's identity from the VM to the physical server.

The VM only runs the various OES bits tied to NSS support and the GroupWise software.

I've never performed an Transfer ID installation, so I'm unclear on the impact of moving the ID on the GroupWise components.

There are two things you need to do:

1. Create a new OES 2018 SP1 server.
  2. Migrate GroupWise to the new server.

Transfer ID installation

Follow the documentation. Because this is a new server, your current server can continue to run and, should you find the install did not complete as you expected, you can simply blow it away and begin again up until the last step when you do the Transfer ID. Also be aware that if your current server has been upgraded one or more times certain components may have not been upgraded in order to maintain compatibility. This time, because it is a fresh install, you should obtain the benefit of all the latest OES 2018 SP1 features.

GroupWise Migration.

I assume from what you said here that your GroupWise domain and post office are on its own NSS volume, is that correct? If so, I would treat this as a migration and an upgrade even though your final GroupWise version will not change.

1. Download the GroupWise 18.1.1 installation package to the new server.
    2. Run health checks on your existing server: Make sure there are no NSS issues; Run GWCheck to ensure there are no domain or post office issues.
    3. While the next steps are pretty straight forward, make sure you have a good backup should anything go wrong.
    4. Prior to performing the Transfer ID part of the OES installation on the new server, disable the GroupWise services on the current VM just in case the VM should accidentally be started.
    5. Complete the Transfer ID.
    6. Shut down the GroupWise VM.
    7. Attach the HBA to the new server so that it 'sees' the NSS volume. Make sure the NSS volume is mounted where you expect it to be and that it is accessible.
    8. Install the GroupWise software.
    9. Do the GroupWise configuration as if you were upgrading an existing system. Point to the domain and post office on the NSS volume and just go through the steps. There should be few, if any, configuration changes. All the GroupWise configuration resides in the domain and post office so no additional configuration files are needed.

The various steps I see as needed are:
      Perform the initial transfer ID installation on the new server.
      Copy the necessary GW configuration files from the VM to a temporary location on the new server.
      Disable the GroupWise services on the current VM.
      Perform the transfer ID on the physical server.
      Attach the HBA to the new server so that it 'sees' the NSS volume.
      Install the GroupWise software, but skip configuration.
      Copy the saved GW configuration files from the temporary location to their proper location on the new server.

Is my logic correct?
      Are there any missing steps?

You had the right idea. I have suggested a few changes.
_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.