Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Why is a Known/Alllowed Device Now Quarantined

I have one user with an Android device. Suddenly it is showing up as Quarantined. He says is it not a new device, nor did he factory reset the device. What would be other reasons why the device is quarantined if not new or factory reset? I am wary of allowing the device without knowing the reason for the quarantine.

Thanks,

Val

GW 2018 & Mobility Service-Version: 18.1.0 Build: 410 on SLES 12SP3, GW Client 18.02 (Build 131493) on Windows 7 64bit; server OES 11 on SLES 11 SP3; eDirectory 9.1 on SLES12SP3 and eDirectory 8.8sp8 on SLES11 SP3
Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Why is a Known/Alllowed Device Now Quarantined

iliadmin;2441412 wrote:
I have one user with an Android device. Suddenly it is showing up as Quarantined. He says is it not a new device, nor did he factory reset the device. What would be other reasons why the device is quarantined if not new or factory reset? I am wary of allowing the device without knowing the reason for the quarantine.

Thanks,

Val

So.....no one has ever enountered this before? I've not found anything in the documentation, nor in a general Google query....I guess I'll hope it's nothing important/serious and remove it from quarantine.

GW 2018 & Mobility Service-Version: 18.1.0 Build: 410 on SLES 12SP3, GW Client 18.02 (Build 131493) on Windows 7 64bit; server OES 11 on SLES 11 SP3; eDirectory 9.1 on SLES12SP3 and eDirectory 8.8sp8 on SLES11 SP3
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Val,

Sorry! No I haven't seen this before nor had a customer experience this before so I am clueless here 😞 Perhaps check what apps have recently been downloaded?

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I haven't seen this before, but you might want to check out your mobility-agent logs when the device wasn't quarantined, and when it was. Try to track down the deviceID for this user, and see if it changed somehow?

Was anything changed on the phone, such as an update or new mail app?
Does the phone connect directly to the GMS server, or go through another service (MDM)?

Shane Nielson Kind of alright at doing stuff with the computer thing
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We have this from time to time on Android and Blackberry devices. Most
of the time it is an update to the mail app/device, a device reset, or
MDM refresh that triggers it. If you are seeing it the quarantine
consistently, I would dig into to the logs and do some device testing.

On 10/12/2016 11:56 AM, snielson wrote:
>
> I haven't seen this before, but you might want to check out your
> mobility-agent logs when the device wasn't quarantined, and when it was.
> Try to track down the deviceID for this user, and see if it changed
> somehow?
>
> Was anything changed on the phone, such as an update or new mail app?
> Does the phone connect directly to the GMS server, or go through another
> service (MDM)?
>
>

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ok, thanks for the replies! So I was beginning to wonder if this was an anomaly....
The user claims nothing new has been installed, no updates received (that he is aware of)m not factory reset, etc. I suppose I will have to inspect it myself.
He connects directly to the GMS server using an Exchange account, Android device. Is there a specific log I should look at, or all of them?

Could mobile malware trigger this issue? Sometimes I never know with people what they really do on their phones.....it scares me to think about it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I dug into the logs (quite a bit of detail in them, quite a bit of them!). I didn't see anything unusual with the device. It may have been an update on the phone's email program, my guess. It seems to be OK now though. I had them do a full
antimalware scan on the device, checked it for rogue apps, made sure he hadn't changed things like rooting it or allowing the installation of apps via 3rd party or unknown sources. All seems in order in those cases. So, it's a mystery!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Val

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.