crashmaster18 Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.
3523 views

Windows 7 x64 Pro - GroupWise 2014 (14.0.2) Random Crashing

Multiple subject workstations/client versions are seeing the following application errors at seemingly random times. Sometimes it is writing a message, sometimes saving a message sometimes under user proxy, sometimes the user is doing nothing at all. There's a general "feeling" from some heavy users it could be tied to HTML messages, so we tried to set the default viewer/editors to plain text, but it did not make a difference. A clean 14.0.2 install versus a upgrade from 14.0.1 doesn't seem to make any difference. The Windows Application Event Logs are filled with similar items to this typical error;

Typical Error:

Dec 07 14:40:47 0.1000 Application_Error Faulting application name: grpwise.exe,
version: 14.0.2.30664,
time stamp: 0x5588b207
Faulting module name: gwenv1.dll,
version: 14.0.2.30664,
time stamp: 0x5588b011
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0034b173
Faulting process id: 0xf58
Faulting application start time: 0x01d130efd0a3b6bd
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Novell\GroupWise\grpwise.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Novell\GroupWise\gwenv1.dll
Report Id: 6901efc1-9d1a-11e5-a983-00163e61d169

- Now I have seen some older posts suggesting DEP (Data Execution Prevention) be disabled to prevent this type of error. Is this still the recommended practice for GroupWise under Windows 7 Pro x64?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Windows 7 x64 Pro - GroupWise 2014 (14.0.2) Random Crash

Hi,

Personally I have not observed such issues with the GroupWise Client. I don't recall ever manually changing my DEP settings. My hunch is that there's something else in your environment, common to all your workstations, that is causing this. Perhaps AV?

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
crashmaster18 Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Re: Windows 7 x64 Pro - GroupWise 2014 (14.0.2) Random Crash

Thanks for the response. Yes, that's what we suspected as well, however Sophos shows no signs of abnormal activity when these crashes happen and there's nothing in any of the logs to indicate further issues before the crash. We have tried disabling DEP on an isolated VM to see if that helps, and if that fails, we'll try disabling active scanning with SAV. We'll report back with more information when we have something firm.



laurabuckley;2413099 wrote:
Hi,

Personally I have not observed such issues with the GroupWise Client. I don't recall ever manually changing my DEP settings. My hunch is that there's something else in your environment, common to all your workstations, that is causing this. Perhaps AV?

Cheers,
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Windows 7 x64 Pro - GroupWise 2014 (14.0.2) Random Crashing

On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 12:56:03 GMT, salisburyk
<salisburyk@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:

>
>Thanks for the response. Yes, that's what we suspected as well, however
>Sophos shows no signs of abnormal activity when these crashes happen and
>there's nothing in any of the logs to indicate further issues before the
>crash. We have tried disabling DEP on an isolated VM to see if that
>helps, and if that fails, we'll try disabling active scanning with SAV.
>We'll report back with more information when we have something firm.
>
>
>
>laurabuckley;2413099 Wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Personally I have not observed such issues with the GroupWise Client. I
>> don't recall ever manually changing my DEP settings. My hunch is that
>> there's something else in your environment, common to all your
>> workstations, that is causing this. Perhaps AV?
>>
>> Cheers,


We are running Sophos and it has never caused an issue with GroupWise.
Have you tried updating video drivers? That may seem odd, but I still
see problems that get resolved after updating video drivers.

Ken
--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
Idea Exchange sites within this community are now coming online for some of the Collaboration Products!
GroupWise Idea Exchange - https://community.microfocus.com/t5/GroupWise-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/GWideas
SMG Idea Exchange - https://community.microfocus.com/t5/Secure-Messaging-Gateway-Idea/idb-p/SMG_Ideas
Old method is still available for some products here: https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
crashmaster18 Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Re: Windows 7 x64 Pro - GroupWise 2014 (14.0.2) Random Crash

ketter;2413144 wrote:
On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 12:56:03 GMT, salisburyk
<salisburyk@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:

>
We are running Sophos and it has never caused an issue with GroupWise.
Have you tried updating video drivers? That may seem odd, but I still
see problems that get resolved after updating video drivers.

Ken


Hi Ken,

In most of the cases, we're using the Microsoft Standard VGA Driver that is built into Windows. We have also seen this on Workstation Class systems with latest stable NVIDIA drivers. Not a single crash since we disabled DEP. Hmmm...

Kevin
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Windows 7 x64 Pro - GroupWise 2014 (14.0.2) Random Crash

Some new information about that thread?
Some users here have the 14.0.2 client and fromt time to time the client is not responding when they open an e-mail. They have to restart the client and everything is fine then until the next crash. We disabled DEP and tried the latest Display driver.
Also the update to 2014 R2 didn't changed anything.
0 Likes
crashmaster18 Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Re: Windows 7 x64 Pro - GroupWise 2014 (14.0.2) Random Crash

jancux75;2418785 wrote:
Some new information about that thread?
Some users here have the 14.0.2 client and fromt time to time the client is not responding when they open an e-mail. They have to restart the client and everything is fine then until the next crash. We disabled DEP and tried the latest Display driver.
Also the update to 2014 R2 didn't changed anything.


Glad I'm not the only one who sees this. I have no updates to this yet, although generally speaking the random freezes seem to be limited to those with very large mailboxes or users with proxy access to large mailboxes. The crashes seem to have been less frequent of late (since we performed a complete quickfinder reindex a couple of weeks ago). I am wondering if there are local Client files that are only found in the newer GroupWise 2014/2014 R2 Clients that we should block Sophos from scanning...
0 Likes
jzandbergen Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Windows 7 x64 Pro - GroupWise 2014 (14.0.2) Random Crash

Bump for interest
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Windows 7 x64 Pro - GroupWise 2014 (14.0.2) Random Crash

Hi,

I recommend that for more immediate attention to your problem you open a Service Request with Novell Technical Support.

If you do open a SR kindly keep us updated with progress so that we can all learn.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
rbarc Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Windows 7 x64 Pro - GroupWise 2014 (14.0.2) Random Crash

I am experiencing same issue with a few users. All have client 2014 R2 on Win 7, typically with a large mailbox. Random freeze and crash with "application not responding".

Have done numerous repairs and reinstalls with no impact. AV is Kaspersky so not a Sophos issue.

Am putting in service request right now (senior user, and they are NOT happy, previous version gave no problems for years !)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.