Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Windows services - best startup sequence?

Since I had to move my virtual server, on which GroupWise is installed, to a new storage, I have troubles after the server restarts.
Windows shows all 5 services (GWIA, MTA, POA, Administration and Monitor) as started, but according to GroupWise monitor and GW administration module, GWIA is closed. If I then manually restarts the service, GWIA opens, but I can't relay messages to the external mailserver - and the external mailserver can't relay to GroupWise.
The MTA web monitor shows the Post Office as closed. But I am able to log in.

If I restart POA, MTA, GWIA and the external mailerver a few times, GroupWise suddenly works fine again.

The "expert" who moved the storage, told he had to force GroupWise to close, so I guess something went wrong.

When I move to GW 2014 R2 I plan to establish a brand new server, and hopefully these malfunctions go away.

But until then, the workaround might be to start the services manually, as service restart seems to fix the problem.
But as I don't like to experience too much on a running system, I would like to know the best start sequence for the 5 services + the external relay.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jens Jakob, Dansk Centralbibliotek, Flensburg
GroupWise 2014.0.2 on Windows 2008 R2
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Windows services - best startup sequence?

In article <5671B6EA.9EA0.0014.3@dcbib.dk>, Jens Jakob Sørensen wrote:
> Since I had to move my virtual server, on which GroupWise is installed, to a new storage, I

have troubles after the server restarts.

Was this a live move or a shut down the server and then move the virtual disks? Which
hypervisor?

What do the agent logs show after startup?

I wonder if the firewall is acting up. A test might be to stop it next time there are the
difficulties to see if things start flowing after that.

Any antivirus running on this server? If so make sure it doesn't look at the GroupWise files.

What maintenance are you running on the system?
http://www.konecnyad.ca/andyk/gwmnt5x.htm
An occasional flush of temp files can clear up a lot (such as with Disk Cleanup or CCleaner).
Check that CPU, RAM, and Disk space (especially on C:) are good

All the services are designed such that they can come up in any order. What I generally do is
start at the core and go out from there, so MTA, POA, Admin, GWIA, WebAccess, Monitor. As the
external relay is on a seperate 'box', I've never worried about when in the order it is
started, often leaving it up through any maintenance that doesn't affect it.

Andy of
http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please show your appreciation
by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

___
“i’ve sworn an oath of solitude til the blight is purged from these lands”
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Svar: Re: Windows services - best startup sequence?

Hi Andy

GW was shut down, moved to the new storage and then restarted. A consultant did that over night, so I'm not sure if the first start went well, as he after this initial move, tried to make a live move of all VMs between our physical servers in order to update them as well. It was then, I got a text, he wasn't able to move GW, but had to make a force shut down.

When I started the GW-server after this, I experienced the problems.

The virtual system is Citrix XEN, ver, 6.5, run on DELL hardware.

I actually runs all the maintenance jobs you suggest, and have done so for several months.
No antivirus installed.
Got lots of CPU, RAM and Disk Space.

The firewall is also acting as external mail relay. And a restart here helps to get the GWIA running.

Next time I restart the server, I will start the services in the sequence you suggest. And if it fails, post the logfiles here.
Furthermore, I fount a consultant last week, who is an expert in both our Firewall and Novell. I've hired him for a system check next month. He might have a few suggestions as well 🙂
And I'll share them here, if they works!

Thanks
Jens Jakob

>>> Andy Konecny<konecnya@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> 17-12-2015 23:30 >>>

In article <5671B6EA.9EA0.0014.3@dcbib.dk>, Jens Jakob SÃ̧rensen wrote:

> Since I had to move my virtual server, on which GroupWise is installed, to a new storage, I

have troubles after the server restarts.

Was this a live move or a shut down the server and then move the virtual disks? Which
hypervisor?

What do the agent logs show after startup?

I wonder if the firewall is acting up. A test might be to stop it next time there are the
difficulties to see if things start flowing after that.

Any antivirus running on this server? If so make sure it doesn't look at the GroupWise files.

What maintenance are you running on the system?
http://www.konecnyad.ca/andyk/gwmnt5x.htm
An occasional flush of temp files can clear up a lot (such as with Disk Cleanup or CCleaner).
Check that CPU, RAM, and Disk space (especially on C:) are good

All the services are designed such that they can come up in any order. What I generally do is
start at the core and go out from there, so MTA, POA, Admin, GWIA, WebAccess, Monitor. As the
external relay is on a seperate 'box', I've never worried about when in the order it is
started, often leaving it up through any maintenance that doesn't affect it.

Andy of
http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please show your appreciation
by clicking on the star below. Thanks!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.