Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

archive accessibility

Long in the past we had set up our archive location to point to a common directory via UNC like this: \\server\NSS1\gwarchive. GroupWise then created an archive folder for each user using the standard naming scheme. The users could access only their archive directory:

\\server\NSS1\gwarchive\ofxxxarc

\\server\NSS1\gwarchive\ofyyyarc

\\server\NSS1\gwarchive\ofzzzarc

I did not have to modify any ACLs for this to work, GroupWise did all the heavy lifting creating the directory and setting the ACLs.

Fast forward to the present. A user wanted to access their old archive but could not. I was able to change the location of this persons archive and move the data to that location and fix the archive database. I then removed the old archive directory and planned on having GroupWise recreate it. However this is where things went south. The user is unable to create a new archive directory in the older location unless I give her full rights to the parent, \\server\NSS1\gwarchive. Manually creating the archive directory and giving her full rights to it did not work as she would get 8201 errors even though she has full access to that folder and its contents.

I have tested moving the archive folder to the user's home directory, and that works fine. So, if you still use archiving today, how do you have the archive path set up? Is there a way to still use the common archive folder like I did in the past? Thanks much, Chris.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: archive accessibility

Hi Chris,

Please confirm what server OS and file system is in use for your archive location.

Many thanks,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Sorry, should have included that. The GW server is running OES11 SP3 and the partition is NSS. GW is 2014 R2.

>>> laurabuckley<laurabuckley@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> 12/15/2016 10:36 AM >>>

Hi Chris,

Please confirm what server OS and file system is in use for your archive

location.

Many thanks,

--

Laura Buckley

Technical Consultant & Trainer

South Africa

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,

please show your appreciation and click on the star below...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
laurabuckley's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=122

View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=501710
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Chris,

As far as I am aware GroupWise archiving is forced into honouring file system rights and not creating archives where users don't have all the permissions necessary. From my experience that means a user needs create, erase, read, write, practically everything besides supervisor to the parent directory. I saw 8201 errors creeping in when GroupWise 8 was released and I'm sure there were some security changes from then on, but that's just my suspicion. For this reason I pointed archives to users home directories and then just needed to set the archive path to H: where H: was a root drive mapping to the user's home directory.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Thanks for the reply Laura. How do you handle archive database maintenance if the user's home directory is not on the GW server?

So here is a riddle to me. I have an archive directory set up as \\server\nss1\gwarchives. No one has NSS rights to this directory. Under that directory I create a user archive directory \\server\nss1\gwarchives\ofxxxarc and I give user xxx full rights. I log into a workstation as user xxx and I can drill down to the archive directory (ofxxxarc) and I can read, write, copy, delete, etc., confirming that user xxx has full rights. Now I start up GroupWise and get the 8201 error. This is telling me that some GW process on the server needs rights to the parent directory \\server\nss1\gwarchives.

Chris

>>> laurabuckley<laurabuckley@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> 12/15/2016 11:06 AM >>>

Hi Chris,

As far as I am aware GroupWise archiving is forced into honouring file

system rights and not creating archives where users don't have all the

permissions necessary. From my experience that means a user needs

create, erase, read, write, practically everything besides supervisor to

the parent directory. I saw 8201 errors creeping in when GroupWise 8

was released and I'm sure there were some security changes from then on,

but that's just my suspicion. For this reason I pointed archives to

users home directories and then just needed to set the archive path to

H: where H: was a root drive mapping to the user's home directory.

Cheers,

--

Laura Buckley

Technical Consultant & Trainer

South Africa

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,

please show your appreciation and click on the star below...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
laurabuckley's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=122

View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=501710
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Chris,

For maintenance on an archive I typically go to [team viewer] the user's pc and run the standalone GWCheck against the archive simply pointing to H: drive.

Considering that the archive points to the parent and then reads/accesses the archive directory, the rights need to be at the parent level - at least that's my understanding.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.