tbundy427
New Member.

cron weekly

Would be a good idea to put "rcdatasync restart" in a script, and put it in dron weekly?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: cron weekly

On 28.12.2011 22:56, tbundy427 wrote:
>
> Would be a good idea to put "rcdatasync restart" in a script, and put it
> in dron weekly?

No, why?

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
tbowman1724 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We put a weekly cron restart of the server, followed 10 minutes later by a "start" of datasync. This has helped clear up many issues we had where devices would no longer pull down new messages automatically. We do the two step process because once in a great while datasync doesn't start automatically with the server. Giving it the start command a few minutes later has taken care of that problem. I'm half tempted to do it every day. Just last week I had to manually restart the services after my boss reported neither of his devices were getting new mail automatically. I restarted services manually and he immediately started syncing again on both devices.

Yes, it is a band-aid and not a true fix for the technical glitches but it does work. We are on GW 8.0.3 on OES 2sp2 running Mobility 1.2 build 579. We will update to the latest version in a week or two.

YMMV,

Todd Bowman
0 Likes
tbundy427
New Member.

tbowman1724;2164100 wrote:
We put a weekly cron restart of the server, followed 10 minutes later by a "start" of datasync. This has helped clear up many issues we had where devices would no longer pull down new messages automatically. We do the two step process because once in a great while datasync doesn't start automatically with the server. Giving it the start command a few minutes later has taken care of that problem. I'm half tempted to do it every day. Just last week I had to manually restart the services after my boss reported neither of his devices were getting new mail automatically. I restarted services manually and he immediately started syncing again on both devices.

Yes, it is a band-aid and not a true fix for the technical glitches but it does work. We are on GW 8.0.3 on OES 2sp2 running Mobility 1.2 build 579. We will update to the latest version in a week or two.

YMMV,

Todd Bowman

I was going to just to datasync, and the postgresql. like this...

#Min Hr Dat Mo Day Command
0 3 * * 6 rcdatasync stop
3 3 * * 6 postgresql restart
6 3 * * 6 rcdatasync start
0 Likes
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

tbundy427 wrote:

> I was going to just to datasync, and the postgresql. like this...
>
> #Min Hr Dat Mo Day Command
> 0 3 * * 6 rcdatasync stop
> 3 3 * * 6 postgresql restart
> 6 3 * * 6 rcdatasync start

Personally I'm in agreement with Massimo--no restart should be required
at all. When I was managing Mobility, I would easily have it run weeks
at a time without issue, sometimes even longer. The only time I would
restart services typically was because of an upgrade to a newer build.
The only exception was when I initially upgraded our production server
to build 579. There were some bugs which caused CPU issues and later
db corruption, but once that was resolved it was rock solid again.

--
We're your Novell--again. http://www.novell.com/promo/backtobasics.html
Enhancement Requests: http://www.novell.com/rms

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
tbowman1724 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I agree, no restart should be necessary but when there are bugs in the software that a restart fixes, it's a pretty easy win to simply schedule a restart and be done with it. And I mispoke above. In my crontab, I restart the server and then after that I RESTART datasync, not start it. There was at least one instance where the "start" didn't work, but a restart worked fine. So that's the new procedure around here. Since it's virtual, the server restart takes under 1 minute and our GW traffic is very light at 3:45am when I have it scheduled.
0 Likes
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

tbowman1724 wrote:

>
> I agree, no restart -should -be necessary but when there are bugs in
> the software that a restart fixes, it's a pretty easy win to simply
> schedule a restart and be done with it.

I agree that it's an easy workaround, but again I'm saying from my
personal experience it *is* possible for Mobility to run for long
periods of time without needing to restart the server. Granted the
environment I managed wasn't very large, only about 30 devices, but in
my experience there was no need to do a periodic restart.

If you're seeing issues that seem to be cleared up by a restart, I'd
open an SR to get to the bottom of it. Even though the restart seems
like an ok workaround, it's possible some underlying issue could worsen
making even restarts ineffective.

--
We're your Novell--again. http://www.novell.com/promo/backtobasics.html
Enhancement Requests: http://www.novell.com/rms

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
tbundy427
New Member.

One user has a 3rd party email app that he likes. He says that the default client NEVER (he put it in all caps) worked correctly. Actually geting our hands on his phone is almost impossible. The rest of the users dont complain. He called, said it was broke. I did rcdatasync restart, and its working now. If I can ever peel the phone from his hands I will call. Given a good reason (like his app will break the server) I would just block that device. Government can be challenging. I will leave it as is, and tell him I would need to troubleshoot the issue, and I would need his phone to do so. Most likely he wont call back. Thanks!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.