Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

database corruption (0xDB21)

Jump to solution

After validating the primary domain from the webconsole i encountered an error "database corruption (0xDB21), I have searched the internet if there are similar problems but I couldn't find any.

If someone could help or tell me what this error code is or its cause that would be appreciated.

I attached a screenshot of the error I encountered.

Thanks 

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: database corruption (0xDB21)

Jump to solution

@4Lyle wrote:

Yes I recovered the database, But I would just like to know what the error code (0xDB21) means? maybe there's a way to prevent these things to happen. 

But Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.

This is what the documentation says about that error:

DB21 Database inconsistency detected

Source:GroupWise engine; administration engine.
Explanation:Database invalid or damaged.
Possible Cause:The database is invalid.
Action:Rebuild the database. 

The cause could be a lot of things.  Unfortunately we have no way to know what that cause was.

Pam

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

@4Lyle 

If the database is corrupt you need to recover it:

https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise18/gw18_guide_admin/data/adm_db_maint_recover.html 

Cheers,

Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

Yes I recovered the database, But I would just like to know what the error code (0xDB21) means? maybe there's a way to prevent these things to happen. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

@4Lyle wrote:

This is what the documentation says about that error:

DB21 Database inconsistency detected

Source:GroupWise engine; administration engine.
Explanation:Database invalid or damaged.
Possible Cause:The database is invalid.
Action:Rebuild the database. 

The cause could be a lot of things.  Unfortunately we have no way to know what that cause was.

Pam

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

That is unfortunate. Thanks pam

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi could you give me examples of what could cause a database corruption?

Thanks and Kind Regards,

Lyle

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi Lyle,

maybe Pam can deliver some more precise examples.

But my experiences showed me different reasons: virus scanner, hard disc failures or corrupt file system, of course power failures - and sometimes (rather rare) agent crashes.

Laura has mentioned the self-healing process in the background.

My recommendation is to create and run a secondary domain, every time - independent how small your GroupWise system is. So you have a chance to rebuild the primary whenever you need.

Diethmar

Diethmar Rimser
If you like my idea or solution, please show it and click i.e. on "Like"!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello @Rimser,

Yes, I do have a secondary domain to rebuild the primary domain. I would just like to know some causes on why it happens maybe I could pinpioint the cause on my part. I mostly checked everything from viruses to power failures but to no avail.

What intrigues me is that a corrupt file system could be a cause to, is there a way to know that my file system is corrupted? i'm using SUSE12 as my OS for my GroupWise.

Thanks and Kind Regards,

Lyle

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi Lyle,

at one customer I have a strange situation of course. Every one or two month a wpdomain.db is corrupt on one of two servers. It is a larger environment with many domains. Those two servers which suffer these problems do not contain any postoffices. They host just a GWIA (plus domain) which is used for outgoing mails (SMTP relay for non GroupWise clients).

Sometimes a wpdomain.db is corrupt. We have never find out the real problem. Now they are on version GW18.1.2 which improved the situation a lot (nowadays only one server every two months runs into this situation). With GW2014R2 we had corrupt databases on both servers every month.

I have mentioned that we cannot(could not) find out the problem. Both servers have the same environment. Domain plus GWIA. Plus Gwava6.5. Gwava did the Gwia scan for outgoing mails. At this customer site there were more domain-GWIA bundles but with different roles.

My description does not really help you except that GW18 has less problems ...

Kind regards
Diethmar

Diethmar Rimser
If you like my idea or solution, please show it and click i.e. on "Like"!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

hello @Rimser ,

The scenario you mentioned is kind of similar to what I'm experiencing right now. The corruption occurs every two months or less and it's very alarming.

Could this be a problem with the software itself? or software issue?

Thanks and Kind Regards,

Lyle

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

"I mostly checked everything from viruses to..."

Not sure what you mean by this, but if you have anti-virus installed on your GroupWise servers, you absolutely should not be scanning any of your domain or post office folders.  That will cause issues.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
Idea Exchange sites within this community are now coming online for some of the Collaboration Products!
GroupWise Idea Exchange - https://community.microfocus.com/t5/GroupWise-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/GWideas
SMG Idea Exchange - https://community.microfocus.com/t5/Secure-Messaging-Gateway-Idea/idb-p/SMG_Ideas
Old method is still available for some products here: https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello @ketter 

sorry about the confusion but there is no anti-virus installed on any of my GroupWise domain/Post office.

But is all form of scanning is bad for the domain/post office? I don't particularly have any software that scans my GroupWise up to my knowledge. But if scanning the domain/post office is "bad" this might be the cause? if you could elaborate on this it will be well appreciated

Thanks and Regards,

Lyle

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.