Highlighted
sselaya
New Member.

duplicate messages - smtp outbound

Running GW 8.0.1 HP and have a very odd issue going on with a user using an Android phone. It is setup to use our gwia for IMAP and secure SMTP for outbound messages.

When sending messages from the phone it created a folder called Sent in the users GroupWise mailbox and then up to 1000 - 2000 copies of the same message will appear. Them message appears to be the same and they all have the same message id. It does not appear that the recipient is getting all of these duplicate emails and looking at the status they show a pending status. The user just reported this and it appears it has been going on since Dec./January of this year so I have about 200,000 emails to help her clean up out of her archive (she archives everything after 30 days).

I have tried running gwcheck with DelDupFolders just in case that was an issue, but came back with no errors.

Not sure where to go next with this....other than telling the user not to send any messages from the phone until we get this figured out.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: duplicate messages - smtp outbound

Hi,

sselaya wrote:
>
> Running GW 8.0.1 HP and have a very odd issue going on with a user using
> an Android phone. It is setup to use our gwia for IMAP and secure SMTP
> for outbound messages.
>
> When sending messages from the phone it created a folder called Sent in
> the users GroupWise mailbox and then up to 1000 - 2000 copies of the
> same message will appear. Them message appears to be the same and they
> all have the same message id. It does not appear that the recipient is
> getting all of these duplicate emails and looking at the status they
> show a pending status.

The messages in the "SENT" folder are put there by the phone. They never
get sent from there, but rather are optional copies of the sent mail
that you can instruct the mailer to be put in that folder via IMAP. A
regular SMTP sent email from a non-GW client by default never shows up
in the mailbox.

> Not sure where to go next with this....

To the app on the phone.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
sselaya
New Member.

Thanks for the info. I will have the user bring the phone in and look to see how it is setup. I wonder why it keeps adding the same messages in the Send folder back to the groupwise system every time it syncs though....

mrosen;1975625 wrote:
Hi,

The messages in the "SENT" folder are put there by the phone. They never
get sent from there, but rather are optional copies of the sent mail
that you can instruct the mailer to be put in that folder via IMAP. A
regular SMTP sent email from a non-GW client by default never shows up
in the mailbox.

> Not sure where to go next with this....

To the app on the phone.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
Untitled Document
0 Likes
sselaya
New Member.

Finding several postings on the internet regarding the Android, imap and duplicate messages. Some say this is a bad IMAP server implementation while others say it is a client/phone issue.

In theory the native email app for the android phone checks for the message id of a message and if the imap server does not come back with a duplicate it sends the message (again).

Most people (groupwise and non-groupwise users) are getting around this by using K-9 as opposed to the native email app...Guess I will try that as well.
sselaya;1975944 wrote:
.... I wonder why it keeps adding the same messages in the Send folder back to the groupwise system every time it syncs though....
0 Likes
eidris Absent Member.
Absent Member.

sselaya;1975954 wrote:
...Most people (groupwise and non-groupwise users) are getting around this by using K-9 as opposed to the native email app...Guess I will try that as well.

What is this K-9? Is this an app within Google Play? I have a user with the same issue.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.