amginenigma1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

email from networked scanners

Hello all,

Not sure if this is the proper fourm or not, but here goes. We have a moderate sized GW (2014) install, and over the past six months a new project to put network enabled scanners has presented me with a new challenge. These scanners are capable of emailing the scanned documents directly to our users, the problem we are having with this is over 1/2 of our facilities are very remote and have a single T1 at best connectivity. When scanned documents are emailed to our users these usually very large (sometimes in excess of 10MB) files must traverse the terrible WAN links to our GWIA then back out to the user. This is obviously horribly inefficient, and as the scanners are increasing in numbers and popularity I am finding it is maxing out many of our links during periods of heavy scan activity.

I am wondering if there is a way, possibly a GW account or other??? that would allow the local postoffice to accept these scanned documents; much like when users email files to each other (don't ask I know they can use *shares* they are users and sometimes do things their own way) if they are in the same postoffice that file never leaves the postoffice, rather than our current setup which sends to the GWIA then back to the user.

Thanks for your ideas,

Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: email from networked scanners

Hi,

I don't have a solution to propose to your challenge, but rather a question.... why are the scans so large in size? I regularly scan documents of roughly 10 pages and the resultant PDF is probably a 1MB at most.

To what file format are you scanning to?

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
buckesfeld Absent Member.
Absent Member.

amginenigma,

scanners talk SMTP, and only the GWIA does on the Groupwise side.
Many scanners allow you to save scans on a Windows/CIFS share, so I'd go that way; either share local folders on your users' workstations and have the scanner put it there, or use a CIFS server (Windows, SLES, OES, doesn't really matter) for a central place.

HTH
Uwe

--
Novell Knowledge Associate
Please don't send me support related e-mail unless I ask you to do so.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 23.01.2015 23:06, amginenigma wrote:
>
> I am wondering if there is a way, possibly a GW account or other??? that
> would allow the local postoffice to accept these scanned documents; much
> like when users email files to each other (don't ask I know they can use
> *shares* they are users and sometimes do things their own way) if they
> are in the same postoffice that file never leaves the postoffice, rather
> than our current setup which sends to the GWIA then back to the user.

No, you can't make the local postoffices accept the scans, you need a
GWIA for that in these offices. Which *is* possible, if you also have a
groupwise domain aka a MTA there.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 18:34:38 GMT, Uwe Buckesfeld <u.buckesfeld@web.de>
wrote:

>amginenigma,
>
>scanners talk SMTP, and only the GWIA does on the Groupwise side.
>Many scanners allow you to save scans on a Windows/CIFS share, so I'd go that way; either share local folders on your users' workstations and have the scanner put it there, or use a CIFS server (Windows, SLES, OES, doesn't really matter) for a central place.

This is what we do. And then I have a script that runs daily to
delete anything in the folder over X days old. Otherwise users will
scan things and then copy them from the folder or forget about the
scan completely and the folder will get too full.

Ken
--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
Absent Member.

@ laurabuckley: the scans we see are not always that large, however we do have users whom scan hundreds of pages of legal documentation. I've seen numerous .pdf files in the 50MB range!

@ buckesfeld & ketter: I have acutally been running a trial of a CIFS / WebDAV share at two of our facilities, and the users at those sites complain about how the setup works. I'm sure you've seen that scanners generally have no formatting when scanning to a share, so if I have 10 users whom all scan to the share (some sites have 10 scanners) at the same time they all wind up with a document on the share named something like 20150126.01c, 20150126.003, etc, etc, etc. So the users are complaining because if it's emailed directly to them they don't have to open the scan to figure out if it is the scan they did, mainly I'm looking for an alternate solution because the users complain directly to management which leads management directly to my office which I don't like 😉

@ mrosen: thanks for that reply, sadly that's what I was figuring would be the case; each site is not currently it's own domain so it seems an easy solution is out of the question.

Unfortunately for me this entire issue kinda slipped in under the radar on us. The desktop crew has been installing multi-function devices for years and they did not think about the impact of installing dedicated high-speed scanners; they simply thought of them as new 'printers'. So now I have an entrenched user base who is used to getting these massive documents via email, and I'm going to need to shock the system by telling them sorry the network can't handle that any longer.

I guess I'll contact Novell to see if they have any other solutions that may fit our needs, I've been looking at Vibe and now Filr; perhaps those can work for us, while our volume may be a bit unusual it seems to me this cannot be a situation we are unique in facing and hopefully there's some other software solution that can work in our environment.

Thanks for the replies all!

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

In article <amginenigma.6rc41d@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Amginenigma
wrote:
> @ mrosen: thanks for that reply, sadly that's what I was figuring would
> be the case; each site is not currently it's own domain so it seems an
> easy solution is out of the question.

Having a domain out at such remote locations is a best practice. Is there
a stong reason why this wasn't done in the first place.
Perhaps worth investagating what it would take to create such a domain
and migrating the PO over to it. Then you'd be able to creat a local
GWIA just for the scanning.
Even if you can't migrate the PO or users over right away, you'll get
more flow control by scheduling the larger scans to off hours.
Agent links in http://www.konecnyad.ca/andyk/gwlimits.htm describes the
process, I hope you can follow it until I to get around to updating it
for 2014 as my lab's admin service isn't working just to delay that
updating.

Andy of
http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Honestly, I inherited this system about six years ago so I couldn't give you a reason why. I was actually in contact with NTS over a non related GW issue recently, and that tech suggested more domains than we currently have with GW2014. It is something that I am looking at how to do currently (project for the year kind of thing). If anyone knows of an easy way to migrate a few thousand users from one post office to a new domain, believe me I'm all ears (well.. it's a forum I'm all eyes); however my reading thus far indicates it's going to be a bit of a painful process.

Part of our business practices requires us to support these large emails, and that's part of the reason Novell & GroupWise were selected as this was an exchange environment waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day (I know exchange has come a long way since 2003) but we could crash our exchange servers daily with our user activity, GW simply seems to plug on even if things are wrong it just keeps on plowing through till things get where they are supposed to go. I'd love to schedule the scans for off hours and or limit the sizes of the scans, however business practices have timelines that prohibit such limitations on our users.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

In article <amginenigma.6re9td@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Amginenigma
wrote:
> I'd love to schedule the scans for
> off hours and or limit the sizes of the scans, however business
> practices have timelines that prohibit such limitations on our users.

Ah, that would be an issue then.
Other options would be:
A) Confirm that they scans are being compressed at the scanner. If not
you can get big wins just from that.
B) Can you do any traffic shaping of your links? Perhaps to throttle
the SMTP traffic enough to allow the other things to work while working
on the more permanent solution.

I'm assuming the users most involved have hugh mailboxs which will
someone dictate your options for getting local domains, but that will
best be its own thread to discuss.

Andy of
http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
mfaust Absent Member.
Absent Member.

amginenigma;2345533 wrote:
If anyone knows of an easy way to migrate a few thousand users from one post office to a new domain, believe me I'm all ears (well.. it's a forum I'm all eyes); however my reading thus far indicates it's going to be a bit of a painful process.

If you have a weekend or longer off hours with little traffic and are comfortable moving a domain from one server to another you could do the following:
- make sure your groupwise and all user mailboxes are healthy 🙂
- create new domain and post office in one site
- move domain holding old post office to the site
- adjust links mta-mta and mta-poa
- move users (traffic will be routed locally between the domains - should be quite fast)
- move domain back to main site
- adjust links mta-mta and mta-poa

I did "move" a post office out of a domain this way. The only tricky part are shared folders across post offices - they might get copied new.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.