dlietz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

file case question

I have a Groupwise 8 system that's been running on OES2sp3 for several years and am in the process of migrating to virtual hardware and upgrading to GW2014. I'm using rsync to copy files to the new server, but I've discovered a few of the userdb and msg files are in all upper case. So my question is do I need to worry about those? I'm not sure why those files are in upper case but the fact that there have been no errors in the system do I need to worry about it?

My first pass just completed - took about 4 hours and I'm supposed to complete the upgrade tomorrow. It's one domain and post office on a single server.

Thanks for any input.

Dan
Labels (1)
0 Likes
9 Replies
dlietz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: file case question

Also, if they do need to be changed to lower case can I change them manually, there's only about 30 files or so?

Another question I have is, in reviewing Caledonia's Groupwise 2014 Migration guide I'm supposed to change the IP's of the MTA and POA before bringing them down - at least those steps are outlined in the migration section for each. But my question is once I change the IP of one of them, won't I lose access to it and thus that service won't get the update for the other? For example if I update the IP of the POA first it will disconnect from the domain and therefore will not receive the updated IP of the MTA when I change it.

Thanks for any assistance.

Dan
0 Likes
dzanre1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

dlietz wrote:

> For example if I update the IP of the POA first it will disconnect from the
> domain and therefore will not receive the updated IP of the MTA when I change
> it.

It generally works better to change the IP before you move - I almost always
have to use the HTTP monitor to "fix" the IP address after the move so that the
POA can talk to the MTA, and as soon as it connects on the new server after
that, everything updates.

--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner
Are you a GroupWise Power Administrator? Join our site.
http://www.caledonia.net/register

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
dzanre1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

dlietz wrote:

> OES2sp3 for several years

Were you on NSS with long namespace? If so, then the case isn't all that
important, but if you are MOVING to a native Linux file system that is case
sensitive then you will need to deal with the case. You can probably change it
manually. If the POA give you any grief, then you would take down the POA and
run a manual GWCHECK with storelowercase as an option to update the ngwguard.db.

But if you are moving from NSS to NSS with long namespace, I wouldn't worry
about it.

--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner

dlietz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So change both the mta and poa ip's using C1? Does it matter which one I do first?
0 Likes
Highlighted
dlietz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Danita. I ended up starting over using dbcopy because I just wasn't sure... the old volume is nss with long namespace, but it was migrated using dbcopy to fix the case back when that migration occurred. It's strange that those files ended up like that. I'm using nfs mount to copy the data and it's actually going faster than the rsync did.

I appreciate the late night response though.
0 Likes
dlietz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It seems like my first round of dbcopy time stamped the files with the date and time they were copied. Is that normally what happens? What it seems to be causing is that my second pass with dbcopy is basically recopying everything since I used ./dbcopy -m -p -i 08-06-2014 <source> <destination> for the second pass.

My first pass copy looked like this: ./dbcopy -m -p -f <source> <destination>

And as outlined below I'm using an nfs mount to provide access, mounting the old groupwise filesystem to the new server's filesystem and performing the dbcopy from the new server.

Thoughts?

dlietz;2328378 wrote:
Thanks Danita. I ended up starting over using dbcopy because I just wasn't sure... the old volume is nss with long namespace, but it was migrated using dbcopy to fix the case back when that migration occurred. It's strange that those files ended up like that. I'm using nfs mount to copy the data and it's actually going faster than the rsync did.

I appreciate the late night response though.
0 Likes
dlietz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Nevermind the time stamp issue is not correct - however the second pass is still running and it's gone past the amount of time it took for the first past to complete - I'm wondering if something is not working but I don't have any way to tell. The log file in the new po directory still shows 0 bytes in size.

dlietz;2328469 wrote:
It seems like my first round of dbcopy time stamped the files with the date and time they were copied. Is that normally what happens? What it seems to be causing is that my second pass with dbcopy is basically recopying everything since I used ./dbcopy -m -p -i 08-06-2014 <source> <destination> for the second pass.

My first pass copy looked like this: ./dbcopy -m -p -f <source> <destination>

And as outlined below I'm using an nfs mount to provide access, mounting the old groupwise filesystem to the new server's filesystem and performing the dbcopy from the new server.

Thoughts?
0 Likes
dzanre1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

dlietz wrote:

> Nevermind the time stamp issue is not correct - however the second pass is
> still running and it's gone past the amount of time it took for the first past
> to complete - I'm wondering if something is not working but I don't have any
> way to tell. The log file in the new po directory still shows 0 bytes in size.

Well, if you get tired of waiting, kill the copy and add a -w to your string.
That will write the progress to the window so you can monitor it.

--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
dlietz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, I did exactly that.

I'm still having an issue with pathing though - as I've posted in a new thread.

Thanks for the responses.

Dan
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.