Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

gwadminservice dead core dump upon gw12 to gw14 upgrade

Hi,
I setup a VMware virtual machine: Novell SLES 11sp3 OESsp2 64 bit with the GroupWise 2012sp2 domain, post office, GWIA, and GW Webaccess with a hand full of new usernames. I did the install.sh - GroupWise Server - install and configure. Then I opened the web link to Upgrade an Existing Domain or Post Office to GroupWise 2014 and stepped through all screens. Then I click Finish. I get the spin pop up in the web, but the spin would disappear after 30 seconds. The gwadminservice would crash (dead) and do a core file. I starts the gwadminservice again. I updated all the agents using the ./install.sh, and I can used the GW Webaccess 2014 Ok. I just cannot get to the https://server-ip-number:9710/gwadmin-console Administration Console; it kept going back to the screen where I can select Existing Domain or Post Office to GroupWise 2014. The GroupWise Domain database version and the Post Office database version show 14. What is the fix on accessing the main GW 14 Administration Console? Thank you in advance, Dean

Labels (1)
0 Likes
10 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: gwadminservice dead core dump upon gw12 to gw14 upgrade

1. can you look in /var/log/novell/groupwise/gwadmin/gwadmin-service.log to see if there is a clue as why admin service is dying. Look for an Exception, post the relevant data here if you find it.

2. run this command:

/opt/novell/groupwise/admin/gwadmin-ipc query and post results here.

--Morris

>>> deancarpenter1966<deancarpenter1966@no-mx.forums.novell.com> 4/2/2014 2:06 PM >>>

Hi,
I setup a VMware virtual machine: Novell SLES 11sp3 OESsp2 64 bit with
the GroupWise 2012sp2 domain, post office, GWIA, and GW Webaccess with a
hand full of new usernames. I did the install.sh - GroupWise Server -
install and configure. Then I opened the web link to Upgrade an
Existing Domain or Post Office to GroupWise 2014 and stepped through all
screens. Then I click Finish. I get the spin pop up in the web, but
the spin would disappear after 30 seconds. The gwadminservice would
crash (dead) and do a core file. I starts the gwadminservice again.
I updated all the agents using the ./install.sh, and I can used the GW
Webaccess 2014 Ok. I just cannot get to the
https://server-ip-number:9710/gwadmin-console Administration Console; it
kept going back to the screen where I can select Existing Domain or Post
Office to GroupWise 2014. The GroupWise Domain database version and the
Post Office database version show 14. What is the fix on accessing the
main GW 14 Administration Console? Thank you in advance, Dean

--
deancarpenter1966
------------------------------------------------------------------------
deancarpenter1966's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=1749
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=475937
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Here what I see in /var/log/novell/groupwise/gwadmin/gwadmin-service.log (I tried the upgrade twice.)
2014-04-02 15:01:37 GwAdminService [WARN] Admin service for service 'corppo.gwdom' is disabled. Admin port is missing or explicitly disabled.
2014-04-02 15:01:37 GwAdminService [WARN] Admin service for service 'gwdom' is disabled. Admin port is missing or explicitly disabled.
2014-04-02 15:01:37 GwAdminService [INFO] No Agent configurations found. Starting GroupWise Administration for initial configuration.
2014-04-02 15:01:41 GwAdminService [INFO] Starting GroupWise administration services
2014-04-02 15:01:41 GwAdminServiceIPC [INFO] Starting the IPC thread
2014-04-02 15:01:42 GwAdminServiceIPC [INFO] Admin service IPC listening on port 53486
2014-04-02 15:01:42 GwAdminService [INFO] Starting the domain connection refresh thread
2014-04-02 15:01:42 GwAdminService [INFO] Generating the install service SSL certificates
2014-04-02 15:01:46 GwAdminService [INFO] Number of unique configuration instances is: 1
2014-04-02 15:01:46 GwAdminServiceListener [INFO] Starting admin service listener: 0.0.0.0:9710=>UNCONFIGURED
2014-04-02 15:10:26 GwAdminService [WARN] Admin service for service 'corppo.gwdom' is disabled. Admin port is missing or explicitly disabled.
2014-04-02 15:10:26 GwAdminService [WARN] Admin service for service 'gwdom' is disabled. Admin port is missing or explicitly disabled.
2014-04-02 15:10:26 GwAdminService [INFO] No Agent configurations found. Starting GroupWise Administration for initial configuration.
2014-04-02 15:10:27 GwAdminService [INFO] Starting GroupWise administration services
2014-04-02 15:10:27 GwAdminServiceIPC [INFO] Starting the IPC thread
2014-04-02 15:10:27 GwAdminServiceIPC [INFO] Admin service IPC listening on port 55303
2014-04-02 15:10:27 GwAdminService [INFO] Starting the domain connection refresh thread
2014-04-02 15:10:27 GwAdminService [INFO] Number of unique configuration instances is: 1
2014-04-02 15:10:27 GwAdminServiceListener [INFO] Starting admin service listener: 0.0.0.0:9710=>UNCONFIGURED
and the command shows
labserver:/opt/novell/groupwise/admin/gwadmin-ipc query
0.0.0.0:9710=>UNCONFIGURED

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Looks like you haven't really gone thru the Update process via gwadmin-console yet, or for some reason it didn't succeed the first time. The admin port for the domain doesn't seem to be configured. Run thru the Upgrade process again, it won't hurt anything.

--Morris

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I found a trick that works for me. I can get to the GW 2014 Administration Console now.
1. Click on Upgrade an Existing Domain or Post Office to GroupWise 2014.
2. The Installation console will see the existing domain and post office.
3. Do a screen shot. You will need this information later.
4. Remove both the GW 12 domain and the GW 12 Post Office.
5. Add both the GW 12 domain and the GW 12 Post Office back in. You will need to browse to the existing GW 12 domain folder. Likewise, browse to the existing GW 12 post office folder.
6. Click Next to see the summary.
7. Click Finish.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It could be that I was using the Novell ConsoleOne on the Windows laptop after I setup / installed / configured Novell GroupWise 12 in the Linux ConsoleOne. The GW domain path and GW PO path would look like what my Windows laptop can see. By removing and adding back the GW domain path and GW path would set the path to the linux path in the GW 2014 Install / Upgrade Console. Just my thoughts.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Probably, the gwadmin service probably failed writing to the wpdomain.db on the first update..

--Morris

>>> deancarpenter1966<deancarpenter1966@no-mx.forums.novell.com> 4/2/2014 3:26 PM >>>

It could be that I was using the Novell ConsoleOne on the Windows laptop
after I setup / installed / configured Novell GroupWise 12 in the Linux
ConsoleOne. The GW domain path and GW PO path would look like what my
Windows laptop can see. By removing and adding back the GW domain path
and GW path would set the path to the linux path in the GW 2014 Install
/ Upgrade Console. Just my thoughts.

--
deancarpenter1966
------------------------------------------------------------------------
deancarpenter1966's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=1749
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=475937
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The Novell Technical Supports posted this in the knowledge base. https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7014850

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We ran into same error. Neither Dean's way nor Danita's blog nor Novell's posted knowlegebase articel helped.

Any hint is appreciated.
Ferdi
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

fgiese wrote:

> Any hint is appreciated.

There is an FTF that fixes many of these problems. I think you should open a
Support Request and ask for the FTF that fixes admin service installation
errors.

--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner
Upgrading to GroupWise 2014? We've got you covered
http://www.caledonia.net/store

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We could do the job by following TID 7014850. Even though there is no hint we had to install and use the Linux version of C1 on the system which serves the domain and postoffice databases. After editing the path options in the mentioned way the upgrade worked fine.

Ferdi
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.