Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

gwha service on SLES 15

Jump to solution

Hello Forum Members,

The time has come to retire our SLES 12 operating systems under GroupWise 18.2, and install new ones with SLES 15 SP1. I enjoyed the process of creating a new template for the 60 post offices. Autoyast, SUSE Manager, Salt, Reload, Redline, postfix are all my friends now. 🙂 Unfortunately I've run into a situation, that I cannot handle on my own. I am sure that I will get help from my colleagues, but until then let me explain it. Long story short, xinetd is not there in SLES 15, or at least it is not installed by default and from what I've read the proper way is to use systemd instead. I could still install it, but gwha is the only service using it, so I would rather make a step forward and convert to systemd. I hope that Microfocus is aware of the situation and in a future release they will provide the necessary documentation and files for this out of the box. I've open this thread to create a knowledgebase for the transition of gwha service from xinetd to systemd. Everybody is welcome to join!

Gellert

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: gwha service on SLES 15

Jump to solution

I've found the solution to the gwpoa exit signal:

[Unit]
Description=GWHA service
Requires=gwha.socket

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=-/opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin/gwha
Environment="LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/novell/groupwise/agents/lib"
User=root
Group=root
StandardInput=socket
KillMode=process

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

KillMode=process means, that systemd will stop only the gwha process and nothing else.

The ExecStart=-/opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin/gwha means that an exit code of the command normally considered a failure (i.e. non-zero exit status or abnormal exit due to signal) is recorded, but has no further effect and is considered equivalent to success. So no more error messages for gwha service in messages.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Gellert,

I did a recent similar migration. I found that I needed to install insserve-compat before doing the GroupWise server install. This then seemed to handle gwha and systemd.

I think it is a bug with the install, as insserve-compat gets installed with some of the later components, but not with the actual server components.

Not sure if this is your issue, but it got me out of trouble.

Regards,

Robert

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Robert,

Yes, insserve-compat is a must for GroupWise on SLES 15. I've also installed

bc (blueprint)
dialog (gw)
motif (gw)
nfs-client (reload)
python (reload)
rpm-32bit
rsync (reload)
insserv-compat
monitoring-plugins-common (icinga)
libgthread-2_0-0 (redline)
libgtk-2_0-0 (redline)

The documentation of GroupWise has a paragraph about SLES15:

IMPORTANT:Installing GroupWise on SLES 15 is only supported for new SLES 15 installs and not upgrades. When installing on SLES 15, the following modules/extensions must be installed before installing GroupWise: Basesystem, Desktop Applications, Legacy, Server Applications, Web & Scripting (for WebAccess, CalPub, Monitor, and CalServer)

So far everything is running fine with one test mailbox only. Xinetd for gwha is the only missing element, but not for long I hope. I am getting used to systemd, looks promising.

Gellert

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

I hope you have seen the documents around Sles 15 SP1 and some more issues because of old/new python support. I.e. readme for GW18.2 contains a small remark (but who is reading readmes? 😉 ).

Diethmar Rimser
If you like my idea or solution, please show it and click i.e. on "Like"!
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

The readme was the first that I've read when I saw the release of 18.2. 🙂 I was also complaining that it did not contained the "list of bugs fixed in GroupWise 18.2".  It is useful the go through that list.

Thanks for the warning!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi,

Please see here:  https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=7023650

and then circle round to here:  https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=7024106

Cheers,

Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Just a quick update.

I tried to create systemd files for gwha, and I've succeeded kind of. Below are the systemd files. I did a test and gwha via systemd can start the gwpoa. The only problem is, that after the poa comes up, it immediately receives a term signal and goes down. This is in the poa logs: "Exit Key Received: Exiting". And it does this every 30 seconds. 🙂 This must be an issue with my systemd knowledge or with gwha systemd combo. Or both.
Then I've installed xinetd from the module-legacy15 repository and it works fine just like in sles 12.
By the way, I did a tcpdump on port 8400. gwha is communicating with the gw monitor, and they are exchanging the password in plain text. Ouch.

/etc/systemd/system/gwha.socket

[Socket]
ListenStream=0.0.0.0:8400
Accept=true

[Install]
WantedBy=sockets.target

/etc/systemd/system/gwha@.service

[Unit]
Description=GWHA service

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin/gwha
User=root
Group=root
StandardInput=socket

[Install]

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

I've found the solution to the gwpoa exit signal:

[Unit]
Description=GWHA service
Requires=gwha.socket

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=-/opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin/gwha
User=root
Group=root
StandardInput=socket
KillMode=process

[Install]

KillMode=process means, that systemd will stop only the gwha process and nothing else.

The ExecStart=-/opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin/gwha means that an exit code of the command normally considered a failure (i.e. non-zero exit status or abnormal exit due to signal) is recorded, but has no further effect and is considered equivalent to success. So no more error messages for gwha service in messages.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.