Highlighted
jgosney
New Member.

ldap manipulation of address book

I am posting this here in the GW forum since it deals with the address book but I will also post it in the edirectory forum as well.

We are trying to come up with a way to allow our users to maintain their own Groupwise address book contact info (phone, room, address, etc). We have an corporate intranet portal that we would like them to be able to do this through. Click a link on the portal, enter their userid and password, change info, and click save.

We initially thought of using API's but because we are wanting to do this web-based, and the API's are all win32 type apps, we need to stick with Java or Perl or something along those lines.

So we've been considering LDAP. Spoke to Novell Support and they said that it CAN be done -- but they don't support that kind of modification.

So I come to the community. Has anyone used LDAP to create a method for the end-users to modify their own contact info? Have you perhaps used a different method? Third-party apps?

Any input would be appreciated.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: ldap manipulation of address book

In article <jgosney.4559o0@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Jgosney wrote:
> We are trying to come up with a way to allow our users to maintain
> their own Groupwise address book contact info (phone, room, address,
> etc). We have an corporate intranet portal that we would like them to
> be able to do this through. Click a link on the portal, enter their
> userid and password, change info, and click save.
>

I believe that IDM has what you need to accomplish exactly that (and
more of course)
http://www.novell.com/products/identitymanager/

Andy Konecny
KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Andy's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=75037

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
jgosney
New Member.

konecnya;1921055 wrote:

I believe that IDM has what you need to accomplish exactly that (and
more of course)

Thanks Konecnya. We actually looked at identity manager last year but it was too cost prohibitive in the current economic climate. And for just this one purpose, it would never chosen.
0 Likes
buckesfeld Absent Member.
Absent Member.

* jgosney,

Actually your problem isn't really Groupwise related. You want to change eDir information. Once you managed to do this, all you need is setting up eDirectory user synchronisation for Groupwise (see manual), so that GW pulls the information from eDir over night.

Until then I'd ask over in the eDir forums if I were you.
Do the users have a Novell client? Because the Novell client has the ability to let users change some of their information, IF they have the proper rights in eDirectory. Should be possible through LDAP as well, but I never did that.

Uwe

--
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)
Please don't send me support related e-mail unless I ask you to do so.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.