hooeld Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1941 views

mail movng to trash

I have a user that moves messages into folders, then at some time during the day the mail moves to the Trash. Existing messages in folders do not move to trash. I have looked at everything in his account. No rules, no junk handling problems. I can NOT find anything. I reset his client options, ran every GWcheck I can think of with no errors. As far as I know, this is the only user it is happening to for sure. However, my boss said he "Thinks" it happened to him Tuesday, but not sure that he did not drop them into the wrong folder. It is something a lot of people would not notice.

My 2 options as I see them, it delete his acct, recreate. That would mean his mail would have to be put on a CD or something, or the process of FID edting.

Or open a SR and see what they say.

Anyone have any ideas that may help..

Les
Labels (2)
0 Likes
14 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: mail movng to trash

I have never heard of something like this happening but you never know I guess. I would start by attempting to duplicate the issue logged into another workstation to see if the client itself is somehow involved. If we can indeed narrow it down to the user there are other options besides deleting and recreating. Let me know if you are successful in duplicating on another workstation.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: mail movng to trash

Any automatic clean up options set ?, could be something like TID 10009847.

Cheers Dave


--
Dave Parkes [NSCS]
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/
0 Likes
hooeld Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: mail movng to trash

Hi Jeff,

I had him use his laptop, and he said it does the same thing..

>>> On 1/29/2009 at 8:36 PM, in message <jgrubbs.3mt1m0@no-mx.forums.novell..com>, jgrubbs<jgrubbs@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:



I have never heard of something like this happening but you never know I
guess. I would start by attempting to duplicate the issue logged into
another workstation to see if the client itself is somehow involved. If
we can indeed narrow it down to the user there are other options besides
deleting and recreating. Let me know if you are successful in
duplicating on another workstation.


--
Jeff Grubbs
Novell Technical Support Engineer II
jgrubbs@novell.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
jgrubbs's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=41638
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=358587
0 Likes
hooeld Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: mail movng to trash

Dave,

No clean up options are set.. If he moves messeges to a folder at say 8:00am, it may move them to the trash an hour or so later. No real defined time, it seems random..

Les


>>> On 1/30/2009 at 5:14 AM, in message <xn0g5s17p1wm5h900y@forums.novell.com>, Dave Parkes<Dave@Norgren.co.uk> wrote:


10009847
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: mail movng to trash

And no one else has complained of this occurring?

What I would assume is that we are dealing with user database corruption. To verify this you can do the following:

1. Unload the POA.
2. Rename the user's database to userFID.old.
3. Run gwcheck against the user with the option of Structural Rebuild. This should produce an error 26 if it works correctly.
4. Reload the POA.
5. Login as the user and it will create a new empty account.
6. Try to duplicate the issue.

If you can still duplicate it we are dealing with something aside from user.db corruption. If it does work, we can work on moving the mail from the old user.db to the new one.

Let me know how that works.
0 Likes
hooeld Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: mail movng to trash

My next troubleshooting steps are:

1. The Users does not put any new mail into folders. Read and leave in mailbox.
2. User deletes and empties trash anytime he deletes any messages. I will assume anything in the trash moved by itself.
3. I will log into his acct, create some folders for testing, and move some messages into them, then watch to see if the move to the trash.

Not that I don't trust him (he carries a gun). But I want to actually see it happen myself..

Hope this sheds some light on it.

Les


>>> On 1/29/2009 at 8:36 PM, in message <jgrubbs.3mt1m0@no-mx.forums.novell..com>, jgrubbs<jgrubbs@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:



I have never heard of something like this happening but you never know I
guess. I would start by attempting to duplicate the issue logged into
another workstation to see if the client itself is somehow involved. If
we can indeed narrow it down to the user there are other options besides
deleting and recreating. Let me know if you are successful in
duplicating on another workstation.


--
Jeff Grubbs
Novell Technical Support Engineer II
jgrubbs@novell.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
jgrubbs's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=41638
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=358587
0 Likes
hooeld Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: mail movng to trash

Thanks Jeff,

I'll try what I am set to do (listed in my other email). If I can duplicate it, I will try the suggestion you
sent below..

Only 1 user out of 3600... I have not seen it happen, so I want to see it myself first..

Les


>>> On 1/30/2009 at 1:16 PM, in message <jgrubbs.3mubwr@no-mx.forums.novell..com>, jgrubbs<jgrubbs@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:



And no one else has complained of this occurring?

What I would assume is that we are dealing with user database
corruption. To verify this you can do the following:

1. Unload the POA.
2. Rename the user's database to userFID.old.
3. Run gwcheck against the user with the option of Structural Rebuild.
This should produce an error 26 if it works correctly.
4. Reload the POA.
5. Login as the user and it will create a new empty account.
6. Try to duplicate the issue.

If you can still duplicate it we are dealing with something aside from
user.db corruption. If it does work, we can work on moving the mail
from the old user.db to the new one.

Let me know how that works.


--
Jeff Grubbs
Novell Technical Support Engineer II
jgrubbs@novell.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
jgrubbs's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=41638
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=358587
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: mail movng to trash

Sounds like a great plan. I will look forward to hearing how it goes.
0 Likes
hooeld Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: mail movng to trash

Jeff,

I have been watching his account all week, and it just did it again.. I am copying all his mail to a CD, then will follow your instructions below.. I'll let you know what happens..

When I do the rebuild, will it create the same FID? If so, what would happen if I archived everything, did the rebuild, and then unarchived the things he wants??

Les



>>> On 1/30/2009 at 1:16 PM, in message <jgrubbs.3mubwr@no-mx.forums.novell..com>, jgrubbs<jgrubbs@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:



And no one else has complained of this occurring?

What I would assume is that we are dealing with user database
corruption. To verify this you can do the following:

1. Unload the POA.
2. Rename the user's database to userFID.old.
3. Run gwcheck against the user with the option of Structural Rebuild.
This should produce an error 26 if it works correctly.
4. Reload the POA.
5. Login as the user and it will create a new empty account.
6. Try to duplicate the issue.

If you can still duplicate it we are dealing with something aside from
user.db corruption. If it does work, we can work on moving the mail
from the old user.db to the new one.

Let me know how that works.


--
Jeff Grubbs
Novell Technical Support Engineer II
jgrubbs@novell.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
jgrubbs's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=41638
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=358587
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: mail movng to trash

This procedure will create a new account with the same FID. You can start by archiving everything and then unarchiving when you are done. This will tell us if it is an issue with the actual user.db.

Let me know how it goes.
0 Likes
hooeld Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: mail movng to trash

I used Reveal to save all his mail to a CD for him.

I archived all his mail to his home directory, and exported his address book.

Unloaded POA,
Ran GWCHECK and did structural rebuild, got error 26
Started POA
Logged in, db was created same FID
set email to him, it came thru fine.
Now I will see if all is good, and if so will unarchive what he wants.

Hopefully this one is about done.

Les


>>> On 2/7/2009 at 10:36 PM, in message <jgrubbs.3n9v5z@no-mx.forums.novell..com>, jgrubbs<jgrubbs@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:



This procedure will create a new account with the same FID. You can
start by archiving everything and then unarchiving when you are done.
This will tell us if it is an issue with the actual user.db.

Let me know how it goes.


--
Jeff Grubbs
Novell Technical Support Engineer II
jgrubbs@novell.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
jgrubbs's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=41638
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=358587
0 Likes
hooeld Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: mail movng to trash

I did all the below, then to give him folders to put mail into, I unarchived one message from each folder. I also imported his address book back in GW.

He just called, and said all his mail he received today, and put into folders, is back in the trash..

Is the next step to unarchive everything, and follow Jeff's instructions to the letter? I hate to leave him without his folders and address book tho.

If I give him a CD with his mail on it, he will have it, but it will be a pain to find old mail.

Do I rename this acct, and recreate it for him, so he ends up with 2 accts' and can forward mail from one to the other??

I am out of ideas..

Thanks
Les


>>> On 2/9/2009 at 2:22 PM, in message <498F4C40.4E75.0001.1@bay.k12.fl.us>, Leslie Hooe<hooeld@bay.k12.fl.us> wrote:


I used Reveal to save all his mail to a CD for him.

I archived all his mail to his home directory, and exported his address book.

Unloaded POA,
Ran GWCHECK and did structural rebuild, got error 26
Started POA
Logged in, db was created same FID
set email to him, it came thru fine.
Now I will see if all is good, and if so will unarchive what he wants.

Hopefully this one is about done.

Les


>>> On 2/7/2009 at 10:36 PM, in message <jgrubbs.3n9v5z@no-mx.forums.novell..com>, jgrubbs<jgrubbs@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:



This procedure will create a new account with the same FID. You can
start by archiving everything and then unarchiving when you are done.
This will tell us if it is an issue with the actual user.db.

Let me know how it goes.


--
Jeff Grubbs
Novell Technical Support Engineer II
jgrubbs@novell.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
jgrubbs's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=41638
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=358587
0 Likes
ukdtom Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: mail movng to trash

Leslie Hooe wrote:

> I am out of ideas..


Sorry, but I do beleave, that an incident is now the proper thing to
create

--
Tommy Mikkelsen
IT Quality A/S, Denmark
Novell Support Forums SYSOP

Sorry, but no support through email
Be a GroupWiseR, go http://www.groupwiser.net

Best Regards Tommy Mikkelsen Denmark Please Report back any success or failure, That way we all learn Sorry, but no support through email "I hate bugs".......Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: mail movng to trash

I agree. There may be a code defect or some more significant corruption going on. Please contact your local partner or Novell Technical Support directly.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.