Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

move mails routed to a dead Domain and GWIA to new Domain and GWIA

Hi Community,

I had a server crash some days ago and the NSS-Pool of a secondary Domain and GWIA died.

So I setup a new Domain and GWIA. Unfortunately there are still a lot of mails in my primary Domain (where the POAs are located) in the directories 2, 3, 4 and 5 in /primaryDomain/mslocal/mshold/crypticNameOfDeadDomain/

I thought it's some kind of self healing and mails sent while the dead Domain was unavailable are sent new to the new domain. But nothing happened...

How can I achive, that the hold mails are requeued to the newly created Domain and GWIA?

Regards,

Thomas

Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: move mails routed to a dead Domain and GWIA to new Domain and GWIA

I think the easiest way is to bring back your old domain/gwia to life.

It does not have to be the same server, not even the same operating system. You need a location and then use "gwadminutil rebuild" to recreate the missing wpdomain.db. This database is more or less the most important part being able to start your MTA (and later on your GWIA). In case of a short time solution I would start this MTA with /opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin/gwmta --home "location of wpdomain.db"

Diethmar Rimser
If you like my idea or solution, please show it and click i.e. on "Like"!
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@tjaeger-hszigr Hello - perhaps try this:

Setup a new server then first install the GroupWise software on the server.

On the new server have the same path structure as your original server. If you can't quite remember what it was, in the GroupWise Admin Console, connected to your Primary Domain, go the the Domain object of the secondary, and click on the "General" tab --> file path will be shown there.

You can rebuild the secondary domain by doing the following on the Primary domain server:

gwadminutil rebuild -cd -d /path/to/primary/mta -n <name of secondary domain> -o /tmp/whatever/

This will rebuild the secondary MTA into the folder /tmp/whatever
Copy the entire contents, incl. sub-directories to the new server into the folder that hosts the MTA.

Before you start the MTA you will need to install the certificates for the MTA on the new server:

gwadminutil certinst -db /path/to/secondary/ -ca <ip or dns name of primary domain server>:9710 -a <admin name> -p <password>

As for the GWIA... if you have a backup you can recover the ..../path/to/secondary/mta/wpgate/<gwia name>/

If you don't have a back up of that then...

Personally I prefer doing the following running the GWAdmin Console on the Server and not a workstation.
Make sure the recreated MTA is running
In the GWAdmin console ensure you are connected to the secondary domain that owns the GWIA.
Delete the old GWIA object
Decline deleting the file structure on the server.
Still ensuring you are connected to the secondary domain
Create a new GWIA
Configure Access Control lists with any settings you may have had (gwac.db is the file that you wanted from backup to restore this information)
Don't forget to recreate the route.cfg file if you previously had one.

I think that about covers it.

Cheers,

Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

@laurabuckley @Rimser 

Thank you for your hints and tips.

I did what you both mentioned. Maybe I did something in the wrong order, but the mails where lost and my users got undeliverable messages for the held mails.

I was able to recreate the Domain. After this the held mails was delivered to the recreated Domain. But they where immediately routed to the not working GWIA. I deleted the dead GWIA for recreation. But at this point the mails was lost...

I think I had to delete the dead GWIA as a first step... the next time...

Regards,

Thomas

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Recreating lost domains or gateways is so easy in GroupWise; even if you have lost your server. That's why I love it.

Diethmar Rimser
If you like my idea or solution, please show it and click i.e. on "Like"!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.