Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

old GW system clean up and migrate to new tree

tldr; What's the best way to clean up an ancient GW system before upgrading to GW 18 and moving to a new edir tree?

I'm dealing with a Groupwise system that was born I believe at Groupwise 6, and has been upgraded  to 7, 8, 2012, 2014R2.

Now the plan it to go to GW 18, along with a new eDir tree with OES 2018.  I want to start as clean as possible, so before upgrading to GW 18 is there any merit in creating a second PO and moving all users to it?  Will that leave junk/orphaned files behind in the old post office, which could then be deleted?

Then the GW 18 upgrade could occur before/after moving the PO and Domain to a new server, and be re-associated with the eDir users.

I read that in GW 8, a move to a new tree would require grafting, but I don't believe that exists anymore as GW is a standalone directory that just needs associating with eDir objects for LDAP authentication.

Is this a reasonable approach or is there a better way?

0 Likes
0 Replies
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.