New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1530 views

"Navigation to the webpage was canceled" in previewer

Since upgrading to GW 2014 from GW 8, we experience the following intermittent error in the GW 2014 R2 client.
When I click a message in the mailbox pane, the following appear in the preview pane:
Navigation to the webpage was canceled
Also, depending on the configuration, the following might appear in the message above the body:
Groupwise has restricted this webpage from running scripts or activex controls.

This only occurs if the message contains something other than plain (or HTML) text. For example, if the message includes a mailto link or a link to a Web site. These are just generic internal email messages, not spam or viruses etc.

Things that we have tried:
- Changed browsers (IE, Chrome, Opera, Firefox), set a particular browser in Tools/Options/Environment/General/HTML Browser.
- On the Default Actions tab in the Environment dialog box, set the HTML Scripts to Never Show Warning
- Reinstall GW, reset settings where possible, and so on.

What seems odd is that you can view a message without a problem, and then when you next view it, you will receive the message. If you click Reply, the message appears correctly in the reply.

Even more interesting is that if you view the problem messages in a certain manner, you can reproduce the issue easily.
For example,
1. Consider a mailbox that has the following 4 messages:
Message 1 - Normal text
Message 2 - Signature link to test.user@example.com
Message 3 - Normal text
Message 4 - Normal text

2. If you click Message 2, it will appear correctly in the preview pane.
3. If you click Message 3, it will appear correctly in the preview pane
4. If you again click Message 2, you receive the error message.
5. If you click Message 4, and then click Message 2, Message 2 appears correctly

So, the issue seems to occur only when you go back to the "problem" message from a message that is directly under the "problem" message. If you click away, and then go back to the message, or if you click the "problem" message after clicking a message that is directly above the "problem" message, you do not experience the issue.

Any troubleshooting steps or information that you can provide are greatly appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

deisler,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

These forums are peer-to-peer, best effort, volunteer run and that if your issue
is urgent or not getting a response, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://www.novell.com/support and search the knowledgebase and/or check
all the other self support options and support programs available.
- Open a service request: https://www.novell.com/support
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)
- You might consider hiring a local partner to assist you.
https://www.partnernetprogram.com/partnerfinder/find.html

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

Sometimes this automatic posting will alert someone that can respond.

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting or otherwise posted in error, please
ignore and accept our apologies and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand
to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com


0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Sorry for the slow response. I simply have not had time to test this for you 😞

Here's what I suggest you do... Grab a copy of a free screen recorder app (I use this: http://atomisystems.com/activepresenter/free-edition/). Create a short video showing each step that you are taking to duplicate the issue. Save screen recording in a format such as MP4 that most folk can view. Open a Service Request with Novell/Microfocus technical support and give them your video - this just means that they can see exactly what is going on without a backward-and-forward explanation.

Please let us know what NTS have to say about this. I am suspecting that you may have found a bug, but let's see what NTS come back with.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you for your response. I filed a bug report.

Thank you,
Dennis


laurabuckley;2423344 wrote:
Hi,

Sorry for the slow response. I simply have not had time to test this for you 😞

Here's what I suggest you do... Grab a copy of a free screen recorder app (I use this: http://atomisystems.com/activepresenter/free-edition/). Create a short video showing each step that you are taking to duplicate the issue. Save screen recording in a format such as MP4 that most folk can view. Open a Service Request with Novell/Microfocus technical support and give them your video - this just means that they can see exactly what is going on without a backward-and-forward explanation.

Please let us know what NTS have to say about this. I am suspecting that you may have found a bug, but let's see what NTS come back with.

Cheers,
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Dennis,

Please keep us posted with what happens with your Service Request. No doubt NTS will give you a newer copy of the client, but do let us know. Thanks.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Was there ever any solution to this? I have had this issue crop up on a
couple of PCs. It seems to be specific to the machine, and very stubborn!


On 3/22/2016 12:16 AM, laurabuckley wrote:
>
> Hi Dennis,
>
> Please keep us posted with what happens with your Service Request. No
> doubt NTS will give you a newer copy of the client, but do let us know.
> Thanks.
>
> Cheers,
>
>


0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On 3/16/2016 12:56 PM, deisler wrote:
>
> Since upgrading to GW 2014 from GW 8, we experience the following
> intermittent error in the GW 2014 R2 client.
> When I click a message in the mailbox pane, the following appear in the
> preview pane:
> Navigation to the webpage was canceled
> Also, depending on the configuration, the following might appear in the
> message above the body:
> Groupwise has restricted this webpage from running scripts or activex
> controls.
>
> This only occurs if the message contains something other than plain (or
> HTML) text. For example, if the message includes a mailto link or a link
> to a Web site. These are just generic internal email messages, not spam
> or viruses etc.
>
> Things that we have tried:
> - Changed browsers (IE, Chrome, Opera, Firefox), set a particular
> browser in Tools/Options/Environment/General/HTML Browser.
> - On the Default Actions tab in the Environment dialog box, set the HTML
> Scripts to Never Show Warning
> - Reinstall GW, reset settings where possible, and so on.
>
> What seems odd is that you can view a message without a problem, and
> then when you next view it, you will receive the message. If you click
> Reply, the message appears correctly in the reply.
>
> Even more interesting is that if you view the problem messages in a
> certain manner, you can reproduce the issue easily.
> For example,
> 1. Consider a mailbox that has the following 4 messages:
> Message 1 - Normal text
> Message 2 - Signature link to test.user@example.com
> Message 3 - Normal text
> Message 4 - Normal text
>
> 2. If you click Message 2, it will appear correctly in the preview
> pane.
> 3. If you click Message 3, it will appear correctly in the preview pane
> 4. If you again click Message 2, you receive the error message.
> 5. If you click Message 4, and then click Message 2, Message 2 appears
> correctly
>
> So, the issue seems to occur only when you go back to the "problem"
> message from a message that is directly under the "problem" message. If
> you click away, and then go back to the message, or if you click the
> "problem" message after clicking a message that is directly above the
> "problem" message, you do not experience the issue.
>
> Any troubleshooting steps or information that you can provide are
> greatly appreciated.
>
>

I just fixed this for one user, when I was at my wits' end and the next
step was to give her a new workstation. Then I noticed that there were
two antivirus programs running on the workstation. Removal of the older
one fixed it immediately. I wonder if, in cases where there is only one
antivirus, if you exempt the caching directory from being scanned, that
might help.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

It's highly recommend that the Caching mailbox area be excluded from AV scans. The data is encrypted, can't be accessed by the AV and data corruption can occur.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.