Highlighted
ksorensen Absent Member.
Absent Member.

re-running dbcopy after migrating post office

I'm moving a GW8 Post Office to a new server. (Using Danita Zanre's Migration/Upgrade Guide) For some reason, the final dbcopy failed to update the files, so the Post Office is missing a day's worth of messages. I can resolve the updating issue, (most likely a permissions problem which caused an 8201 error for every file attempted), but I'm wondering if recopying the Post Office will cause database inconsistencies now that the Post Office has been running for 12 hours and is full of new and updated messages. Assuming dbcopy will only update with newer files, it should only add or modify that which existed on the old Post Office, and not touch any new files, correct?

(I'll be taking a snapshot of the VM just in case, however...)
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
ksorensen Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: re-running dbcopy after migrating post office

Well, in hindsight, it's obvious that if you dbcopy over a newer GW database, you'll lose any changes since the source DB was last saved. Thank goodness for snapshots.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: re-running dbcopy after migrating post office

ksorensen;2196127 wrote:
Well, in hindsight, it's obvious that if you dbcopy over a newer GW database, you'll lose any changes since the source DB was last saved. Thank goodness for snapshots.

Wow... indeed. Just saw your posts or would have jumped in sooner. Yeah, as you found out the dbcopy will overwrite the databases with the data you have specified as source for the copy. This is most appearent with the postoffice database itself as also the user (ofuser) and message (ofmsg) folders in the postoffice. As dbcopy does not clear out files on the destination (only adds new and modified files), folders like offiles (holding attachments) will have the existing files before the dbcopy run+anything that is added.

Good thing you could revert... but then also keep in mind that messages have gotten lost that arrived or where created between making that VM snapshot and reverting.

-Willem
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.