Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

s/mime setup

Hello,

I am required to set up a few of our users with s/mime authentication on their GroupWise account. I have looked at the GroupWise 2012 Admin Manual and the feeling I had was that the S/MIME certificates once purchased, could be simply installed via client on the workstation.

Now, reading more I have a doubt that I will also need to install certificates at server level, i.e. generating a CSR, purchasing it and installing it on the server before I can use the s/mime functionality on the clients.

I think this is not necessary but I might be naive.

Thank you for any help!

Eugenia
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: s/mime setup

Hi.

Am 16.06.2015 um 18:36 schrieb jensens:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am required to set up a few of our users with s/mime authentication on
> their GroupWise account. I have looked at the GroupWise 2012 Admin
> Manual and the feeling I had was that the S/MIME certificates once
> purchased, could be simply installed via client on the workstation.

*If* you readily receive the certificates from a third party provider, yes.

> Now, reading more I have a doubt that I will also need to install
> certificates at server level,

No. S/MIME is strictly done at client OS level. It's actually a Windows
function the client merely uses.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you so much for clarifying it. Yes, I seem to have found Digicert supplying s/mime certification, they seem to come in batches of 50. I was offered to try them in before finalising the purchase, so it is good. Should this fail to work with GroupWise there is a plan B, but we would like to try this option first. It would be better and cleaner setup for us.

Thank you again for your help, really appreciated, there is not much material on this to refer to, only quite old stuff.

Eugenia
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Eugenia,

Further to all of the assitance that Massimo has given you, I would just like to say welcome to the forums and thank you for your question 🙂

Should you require any further assistance please feel free to come back here at any time.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Dear Laura,

Thank you for your message. I actually look at the forums quite a lot. I find more answers here than by asking Novell support (sadly). We have been using GroupWise from version 5 and we would never move to anything else. GroupWise is not perfect but a fantastic application for Administrators and users only just for its fantastic performance and reliability. I know Massimo from all his posts I read, I wish I had all his knowledge.

Thanks again for the help you offer.
Eugenia
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 17.06.2015 16:26, jensens wrote:
>
> Dear Laura,
>
> Thank you for your message. I actually look at the forums quite a lot. I
> find more answers here than by asking Novell support (sadly). We have
> been using GroupWise from version 5 and we would never move to anything
> else. GroupWise is not perfect but a fantastic application for
> Administrators and users only just for its fantastic performance and
> reliability. I know Massimo from all his posts I read, I wish I had all
> his knowledge.
>
> Thanks again for the help you offer.
> Eugenia

<Blush>

Thanks for the warm words. Glad we're helpful, and that you like Groupwise!

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Eugenia,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so glad that you find value in these forums. I agree with you, Massimo is a genius and I too wish that I had his level of knowledge.

Looking forward to seeing you back here in the forums 🙂

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.